University of Texas at Austin Ranked No. 35 Among World Universities

Aug. 21, 2012

AUSTIN, Texas — The University of Texas of Austin is No. 35 in the world, according to the 2012 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) compiled by the Center for World-Class Universities at Shanghai Jiao Tong University.

In broad subject categories The University of Texas at Austin was No. 5 in engineering, technology and computer science. It joined the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, the University of California at Berkeley and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in the top five.

The university was No. 15 in social sciences and No. 32 in natural sciences and mathematics.

The University of Texas at Austin has maintained this level of excellence while receiving less state funding and charging lower tuition than most of its peer public research universities in the United States.

In specific fields the university ranked No. 9 in computer science, No. 15 in mathematics, No. 20 in economics and business, No. 24 in chemistry and No. 35 in physics. The university ranked No. 27 among U.S. universities.

Other Texas universities in the top 100 overall are: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, No. 48; Rice University, No. 91; and Texas A&M University, No. 93.

The ranking is based on six indicators: the number of alumni and staff members winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals, the number of highly cited researchers selected by Thomson Scientific, the number of articles published in the journals Nature and Science, the number of articles indexed in Science Citation Index-Expanded and Social Sciences Citation Index and per capita performance with respect to the size of an institution.

The Center for World-Class Universities is based at Shanghai Jiao Tong University.

Earlier this year, the Center for World University Rankings, based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, ranked The University of Texas at Austin No. 30 in its list of the world's top 100 universities. Times Higher Education, the United Kingdom’s leading higher education publication, ranks UT Austin 29th in the world.

For more information, contact: Tim Green, Office of the Vice President for Research.

25 Comments to "University of Texas at Austin Ranked No. 35 Among World Universities"

1.  Alan R. Weiss said on Aug. 21, 2012

As a Longhorn parent (Jessica, class of 2010, School of Education), I'm proud of "my adopted university's" rankings. However, I note that nearly all of the criteria deal with research, and not teaching undergraduates. UT-Austin does a fine job of turning out highly qualified, well-schooled, disciplined B.Sci. and B. Arts students as well.

It would be interesting to see a ranking of world-wide universities based on the number of teachers produced, the number of entrepreneurial spin-offs created, the number of patents produced, and the number of senior executives who graduated (Bachelors and Masters). Aren't those metrics as important?

2.  Jasmin Hu said on Aug. 21, 2012

I am an alumni of Advertising Dept. Just curious how is the ranking of Ad Gradudate program ranking now? When I was in school at '91-'93, Ad Grad. was ranked No. 1.

3.  Sastry said on Aug. 22, 2012

These look like fluke rankings. UT should definitely be higher. Furthermore, I see lot of great universities like Indian Institutes of Technology, Tshinhua University in China are either missing or way down.

4.  Erica said on Aug. 23, 2012

PROUD TO BE A LONGHORN!!!!! ;-)

5.  Elizabeth Settle Haney said on Aug. 23, 2012

Congratulations to the University of Texas at Austin!! I graduated from SMU many years ago, but since I've lived in Austin since the 1970's, I've adopted UT and cheer for the longhorns. I'm also very proud of its academic programs and professors. I hope the Tex. Legislature doesn't cut their funding any more.

6.  michael aronson said on Aug. 23, 2012

Wow, imagine what we could do as a university without the politics, the sniping, the lack of funding, the elected officials who do not understand the value of research as well as teaching money....in other words, with our funding, our faculty, our alumni, and our student base, we should at least be in the top 20. And yet, I do not see this effort being made. We need to hold our elected state officials responsible and ensure they recognize the importance of having the flagship university have no equal among peers! Hook Em Horns!!

7.  George Stephenson said on Aug. 23, 2012

Good News

8.  Bill Kirkland-75 said on Aug. 23, 2012

Congrats to a great school. I am so proud

9.  Ricardo Fernandes said on Aug. 23, 2012

Both my son and daughter are studying at UT Austin after very competitive ingression processes. They both work hard and acknowledge the excellence of their departments (International Relations and Petroleum Engineering). I can still pay their tuition and living costs... it's not easy, but it's feasible, trust me!

10.  Ron Wassom said on Aug. 23, 2012

"Hook 'Em Horns!"

Class of 1969

11.  Summer Wilson said on Aug. 23, 2012

More bragging rights!! Class of 90 and MSSW 92

12.  Nick Cocavessis said on Aug. 23, 2012

Let's all do what we can to move up a couple of notches every year.

13.  Gadi Ogbogu said on Aug. 23, 2012

Proud to be a Longhorn...'Hook 'em"
Class of 2006

14.  scott bronstad said on Aug. 23, 2012

Last time I checked, UT's Fine Arts Department was No. 15 in US...

15.  M Gilbreath said on Aug. 23, 2012

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16.  David Mathis said on Aug. 23, 2012

Whoot whoot...UT 74

17.  Vivek Mehta said on Aug. 24, 2012

Always cherish my UT degree ... after more than 25 years of different work experience, i can still appreciate the foundation laid by UT and the reasons why I am able to handle various challenges in diverse fields so well ... something at UT is magic and it is so satisfying to see that the magic is still there ]... all those who are in UT : one day you will realize how lucky you are to have had a bit of the UT shine rubbing unto you!

Vivek Mehta, MOMBASA, KENYA

18.  Joe Nolan said on Aug. 24, 2012

UT is always earning "top honors".

19.  tibbie sewell gibson said on Aug. 24, 2012

I've always known it was a great University! Good to know others agree.

20.  rudy melendez said on Aug. 25, 2012

Longhorns lets invest in public education and push hard for state funding keeping tuition costs down for everyone
We all know... "What Starts Here Changes The World"

21.  hwfarco said on Aug. 26, 2012

amazingggggg!

22.  AFJ said on Aug. 27, 2012

I am more convinced than ever! My child is at the right school for Chem. E. Outstanding

23.  JMF said on Aug. 28, 2012

UCLA #12!!!! And four UCs above UT? So sad!

24.  Mike Munoz said on Aug. 29, 2012

Proud to be a Longhorn, Class of 1981 BSME...............who's lettings these Cali people on this site?

25.  Borui Liu said on Sept. 9, 2012

The World University Ranking conducted by Shanghai Jiaotong University is the best portraiture for academic backgournd and researching levels of universities around the world. This time, UT Austin ranks 35th among all universities worldwide. As a PhD student of MSE, I am genuinely prode of UT Austin and Cockrell Engineering School. Thank you very much, my Alma Mater!