UT Austin Anticipating Supreme Court Ruling

June 7, 2013

AUSTIN, Texas — The Supreme Court of the United States is expected to issue a series of opinions Monday morning and could release its decision in the case of Fisher v. University of Texas.

UT Austin will review the ruling as soon as it is released and issue a public response as quickly as possible. Please check the UT Austin News site or subscribe to @UTAustinNews Twitter feed to read the university's initial statement as soon as it is issued.

9 Comments to "UT Austin Anticipating Supreme Court Ruling"

1.  Yolanda said on June 8, 2013

It will be interesting to see the ruling. I can see the pros and cons, but honestly until the playing field is level what other way is there to have a diverse student body than through affirmative action?

2.  Crystal Isaac said on June 10, 2013

thanks

3.  Salomon Stavchansky said on June 10, 2013

A critical ruling impacting the economical, social, and political structure of the United States of America.

4.  Guillermo Aldana said on June 17, 2013

I am confident the Supreme Court will rule in favor of diversity, Texas made strong arguments for it and while it is important to be fair about admissions, a representative cross section of the state population needs to be reflected in UT's demographics.

5.  Alan McKendree said on June 19, 2013

Well, which is it going to be? Fair admissions OR a representative cross section? Don't try to dodge the question by saying "we can have both." There always has to be a primary factor in making a decision. I know which I favor, and it doesn't involve indicating race on admission applications.

6.  Jane Doe said on June 19, 2013

Abigal Fisher was denied all the rewards that a UT education would have given her; we must put an end to ad-infinitum cheating - ie, letting minorities with lesser credentials rob the more deserving people. The UT opportunity should be based strictly on merit; if minorities want to go to UT, then they should earn their right through test scores and grades - not by stealing. Race should never be a consideration. A lot of minorities with inferior credentials cheated her, and lowered the standards for UT and all the other students. The few minorities who actually "earned" their credentials, should not be associated with minorities who only get in by lowering the standards and displacing the more deserving. Those minorities who didn't earn it, are simply "thieves".

7.  Guillermo Aldana said on June 21, 2013

@ Jane Doe and Alan: I am one of the minorities that entered UT Austin, Graduate school of engineering. My GPA was not stellar, a 3.56 on the courses required by Texas (upper division). I don't considered my self a thief of anyone's opportunity, once at UT with its high standards of academic integrity it forced me to uplift my self and compete with some of the more highly sought after gradautes, coming in from more reputable schoold (Duke, U of I, MIT, Cornell, Florida) - I come from Dixie land (LSU - home of Miles, the best coach in the nation second to Saban). While I might not have won a Nobel prize while at Texas. I competed just fine - so please, don't understimate the power of wanting to better one self. Other thiefs, which are minorities from Texas have gone to MIT - Draper labs, became heads of engineering in the Panama canal.. and I could go on and on....I am not sure why you view us as robbers of opportunity, when the bulk of graduate student in engineering are in fact from other countries - the anglo population is not small due to other robbing their spot; its due to lack of application. They are highly sought after because of the lack of enrollment in the graduate school of engineering. We need more scientist that stay here and innovate - no one will argue that; I happen to be both, a minority and US citizen. Stick your head into any graduate class in any of the sciences - there maybe one or two - IF THAT minorities....so i would get your ducks lined up in a row before making broad statements. The Supreme Court will dissagree with your point of view. Of that I am sure. Best wishes, and hope that you can start seeing both sides of the story. We contribute - as much as any one else. We just need the opportunity; and Texas provided that.

8.  Jeffrey said on June 24, 2013

Guillermo:

Whether or not you succeeded at the Universtiy is not relevant to the discussion. The point is whether prospective students who worked to achive certain academic credentials should be turned down for admission in order to allow prospects with lesser credentials to gain admission strictly based on their race. Just because the students with lesser credentials went on to success does not automatically justify the decision process.

9.  Michael Johnson said on June 24, 2013

Guillermo:

Your GPA was much better than mine! I am white, first of my family to go to college from a small town in the Texas Panhandle. UT would not admit me. I had to go to UT night school (no longer offered), take certain classes, and make a certain GP to be admitted. I didn't look on it as discrimination, I looked on it as having to prove myself worthy of admission.

The problem is perception. If admissions is based on blind review, then most everyone is respected for being admitted. When race is considered it devalues everyone who is admitted because the other race feels like they are being treated unfairly.

There are a lot of people, of all races, who are much smarter than me, but I don't feel treated unfairly because they got into top schools and I didn't. You could usually tell the ones who were admitted because their families gave a lot of money to the school. And they didn't get any respect.

Because of my success, my daughters were actually negatively affected by the automatic admission policy. We moved to a neighborhood with highly academic schools. Because they were not in the top 10% they weren't admitted, but their grades were good. Both recently graduated, one in mechanical engineering the other in quantitative finance. They knew there were students being admitted to UT from very poor academic schools, and they didn't think it was fair.

Some of us have to prove we can handle the academics at UT by taking classes somewhere else first. I don't know how to change the perception of whether or not the process is fair, but using race as a factor isn't the way. It only moves the perception of unfairness from one racial generation to another.