New Rankings put UT Austin Among Top World Universities, Best Buys in Higher Ed

July 9, 2013

AUSTIN, Texas — The University of Texas at Austin has been recognized as both the 26th best university in the world and one of the "best buys" in higher education by a pair of prestigious organizations that track higher education internationally.

In the 2013 Center for World University Rankings, The University of Texas at Austin was ranked 26th among the world’s top 100 universities. The ranking puts the university in seventh place among public universities in the United States included in the rankings.

The World University Rankings are based on several criteria, including publications by faculty, influence, citations of faculty research, patents, faculty quality and employment of graduates. Among these criteria, the university ranked highest in patents (20th) and quality of faculty (24th).

"This illustrates how important attracting and retaining top faculty is beyond the primary benefit of having great teachers and researchers," said UT Austin President Bill Powers, who will also serve as chairman of the Association of American Universities beginning this fall. "Faculty quality drives rankings, rankings build reputation, and a rising reputation attracts students, professors and staff of an ever higher quality."

The only other Texas universities included in the top 100 are University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas (46), Texas A&M University-College Station (80) and Rice University in Houston (94).

Based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, the Center for World University Rankings endeavors to provide the most comprehensive university ranking available.

The second prominent ranking of the university, received from the 2014 Fiske Guide to Colleges, lists The University of Texas at Austin as one of the “Best Buys in Higher Education.”

The Fiske rankings during the past 30 years have chosen a select group of schools noted for quality academic offerings and affordable cost for its “Best Buy” rankings. This year’s rankings are composed of 21 public and 20 private colleges and universities in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. It does not assign specific ranking numbers to these schools. The list includes three other Texas schools — Texas A&M University, Rice University and Trinity University.

The rankings are the latest in a series that recognize UT Austin's increasing excellence. These include U.S. News and World Report, which recognizes the university as the 46th best university in the nation and the London-based Times Higher Education, which recognizes UT Austin as the 25th best university in the world.

"The vision we are pursuing at UT Austin continues to be validated by international analysts, publications and rankings," said Powers.

For more information, contact: Gary Susswein, Office of the President, 512-471-4945.

44 Comments to "New Rankings put UT Austin Among Top World Universities, Best Buys in Higher Ed"

1.  Jack J. Newman said on July 9, 2013

To the University's admirable success is currently being added the remaining until-now missing piece: an on-campus medical school. Construction of a new teaching hospital has been approved and funded, recruitment of world-class faculty is underway. The new school plans to begin accepting medical students in 2014. Together with it's component medical branches such as that in Galveston which was the first medical school west of the Mississippi River, in Dallas, which is currently a highly-ranked medical school, and in Houston, which medical campus benefits from synergies with the world's largest medical center, including the University's own M.D. Anderson Cancer Hospital, itself a world-class facility. Directly connecting the massive power of the main campus' outstanding facilities, faculty, programs and research to these already respected and renown medical teaching and treatment resources will immediately raise this tremendous institution's academic standing in all respects.

2.  Sterling said on July 9, 2013

As the engineers would say, "Number don't lie!"

3.  Barbara Flutie said on July 10, 2013

Congratulations! That is an amazing achievement, can you provide the link to see the list of the Universities!

4.  Rick Cherwitz said on July 10, 2013

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

5.  Ricky said on July 10, 2013

The world rankings are linked at kvue.com.

6.  Nahid said on July 10, 2013

7.  Michael said on July 10, 2013

The CWUR rankings are at http://cwur.org/top100.pdf. Since Texas is competing with California it's worth noting that there are seven University of California campuses in the Top 100, four of them ranked higer than UT Austin.

Please note: to view any linked PDF files in this comment, you must first download the Acrobat Reader plug-in for your browser.

8.  David said on July 11, 2013

Congratulations to UT Austin! Hook 'em!

Since, apparently, Texas is competing with California (?), it would similarly be worth noting that on the "Best Buys in Education" lists, there are four Texas Universities (2 under "Public," 2 under "Private") and only one Californian 4-year university (which is private).

9.  Guillermo.Aldana said on July 11, 2013

@Michael - yes, it is hard to compete with the 6th largest economy in the planet - California has an outstanding public school system, starting with Berkeley....and UCLA is no slouch. I tell my sister to stay there, because of the potentially world class education her kids can obtain there, but if it becomes unaffordable - tell her to send them to Texas.....

10.  CPF said on July 11, 2013

As an engineer, I read sterling's comment and chuckled. Yes, that's exactly what the engineers would say and how we would say it, but we'd probably also misspell a word or two.

11.  David Loving said on July 11, 2013

Onward through the fog. Hook 'em!!

12.  A Texas Ex said on July 11, 2013

I expect that UT would rank higher if Bill Powers cared more about merit when admitting students. He complains that students are not graduating on time, which costs the taxpayer money, yet the number of courses an appilcant has placed out of does not appear to be important to the admissions process.

13.  Heinz Roesch said on July 11, 2013

i could not agree more .. well deserved
in my immediate family alone we have three degrees from UT:
my wife a PhD
my daughter a MS
myself a BA

14.  Norman Lindley said on July 11, 2013

Glad to see that our esteemed Governor Perry has not, so far, been able to lower the quality of UT.

15.  Neill said on July 11, 2013

As a Texas Ex who has lived a quarter of a century in California, Michael, I can tell you that the UC campuses include MASSIVELY higher costs. That includes books, tuition, fees and an unreal cost of living. UT gets it done excellently for a reasonable price.

16.  nathan said on July 11, 2013

Would be nice to have a "share" feature/button on the page to be able to quickly and easily share this type of great news with all of the social outlets

17.  Rohan Ravishankar said on July 11, 2013

Whenever OU gives us crap about beating us in football, all we need to do is point to this.

18.  Thomas Isbon said on July 11, 2013

So proud to be a Longhorn!

19.  W.A.De Savino---`52 said on July 11, 2013

Congradulations--as so many others have recognized and stated---a good and grand institution--congrads !!!

20.  Texas Tom said on July 11, 2013

UT is a great school - graduated from UT in 1991 and now teach at Rice. Was surprised to see Rice ranked #75 and when I looked at ratings, the UT teaching rating was significantly higher than Rice. I love Texas, but as a professor at Rice, I can tell you that I spend a lot more time teaching and mentoring my students than my professors did at Texas. It is an ingrained part of the culture at Rice. The profs at Texas are smart but the sheer number of students means that they can't provide the personalized instruction. The drop out rate comparison between the smaller private schools and large public schools is evidence of this fact. Texas is an awesome school and I bought a Texas tomorrow fund for my kids when they were born with the intent on sending my kids there, but it was not for the teaching quality. Huge classes, indifferent TA's, unresponsive faculty was not just my experience but that of my peers - we joked about it all the time. Outstanding facilities, research opportunities, great network, brilliant peers, fun city are some of the advantages, but teaching? I want my Alma mater to have a great reputation, but I also want it to deserve it. Seeing the high teaching ranking - and comparing it to the below average ranking given for Rice demonstrates that someone at the Times of Higher Education had faulty research.

21.  Everett said on July 11, 2013

What a deal to have such institutions of
higher ed. in our state. Think a person
like me could get into an Ivy, Hopkins,
or Tulane? No way most of could
afford the fare. Thank you UT and
aTm. You did alot for me.

22.  dee said on July 11, 2013

norm, what a catty, juvenile comment. as a texas native, texas-educated english lit prof, i congratulate governor perry on his leadership. he will be missed.

23.  Robert Bogard said on July 11, 2013

Since I have BA, MA, and PhD from Texas, I couldn't agree more.

24.  Bob said on July 11, 2013

UT undergraduates education quality is not world class. This is the reason why UT ranks consistently lower than California counterparts. If lower than California is justified, nothing can be justified when UT is lower than Univ. of Michigan.

25.  John said on July 11, 2013

The University is doing great, but on the backs of their staff who have received an average of 0.4% pay raises over the last 5 years. If you really are "grateful", then how about paying your employees what they are worth.

26.  Nick said on July 11, 2013

I had a great time at UT and got a good job after I left because of referrals I received from professors and their connections. That said, I left Texas in 1981 and have never looked back. When I took graduate courses at Cal State Northridge the faculty there were as sharp as, or sharper than, anyone I had at UT -- and my UT profs were good. CSUN is in the second-tier system here. But I suppose it's a miracle that UT is ranked even as high as it is given the brain-dead politics at the state level. If Austin were not such an attractive place to live (despite the dreadful weather), one wonders how many top-ranked faculty would be drawn there. And one wonders how long UT will retain its high rankings when students are able to carry guns and Perry/Abbott get their way of making academic departments pay for themselves.

27.  R. said on July 11, 2013

Hook'em Up!

28.  Jesus Sierra-Victoria said on July 11, 2013

Congratulations to UT and all his magnificent body of administrators, researchers, teachers and students. I am very proud to have earned my Masters (UT LAW 90") in such prestigious University. Greetings from Republic of Panama.

29.  Francisco R Perez said on July 11, 2013

I was a TA at UT and take offense that we were indiferent. Certainly, some were better than others, but none was a slouch. I had excellent professors who taught and published and earned world-wide recognition. In my immediate family, three are UT graduates: wife, BA, (PBK, as a junior), daughter, BA (Plan II), and I, Ph.D.

30.  Denise Barnes said on July 11, 2013

Having a BSN In Nursing and BS in Nutrition , I am very proud to be affiliated with such an Esteem University.
Hook'em Horns

31.  Richard F. Martin, Ph.D., UTMB said on July 11, 2013

I earned my BA in Zoology @ UT Austin in 1972, was hired by UTMB Galveston Marine Biolomedical Institute as a Neuro research tech and diver w/n 5 months, earned a Ph.D. in Neuroscience at UTMB in the summer of 1978, Wm.D.Willis, MD, Ph.D. as my mentor. I moved the U.of Washington, in Seattle, where I have been using my excellent UT Neuroscience training for the past 35 years. Most recently, I used that training in the OR at Seattle Children's Hospital, monitoring kids' spinal cord and brain function during major invasive surgeries.
Thanks, University of Texas!!
Rich Martin, Ph.D., UTMB

32.  Richard F. Martin, Ph.D., UTMB said on July 11, 2013

I am so fortunate to have the University of Texas as my Alma Mater! I earned my BA in Zoology @ UT Austin in 1972, was hired by UTMB Galveston Marine Biomedical Institute as a Neuro research tech and diver w/n 5 months, earned a Ph.D. in Neuroscience at UTMB in the summer of 1978, Wm.D.Willis, MD, Ph.D. as my mentor. I moved to Univ. of Washington, in Seattle, where I have been using my excellent UT Neuroscience training for the past 35 years. Most recently, I used that training in the OR at Seattle Children's Hospital, monitoring kids' spinal cord and brain function during major invasive surgeries.
Thanks, University of Texas!!
Rich Martin,BA., Ph.D., UTMB

33.  Mason said on July 11, 2013

I graduated from UT Austin in 2004. Great to hear that we are ranked among the best in the world (which shouldn't be a surprise, since UT Austin has always been a good school), but we cannot glory until this recognition translates to better jobs and better pays for all our graduates. Afterall, being ranked in the top 25 or top 50 does not translate to being able to pay our rent, car note or being able to pay back our huge student loans.

34.  Nancy Tropoli said on July 11, 2013

Rick Perry, you need to wipe the egg off your face!

35.  Guillermo Aldana said on July 12, 2013

@Tom - Rice is a fantastic institution - and speakes volumes for Texas that you were selected to be a faculty member there; regarding you comments on the attention to the students - it must be very nice - but in industry is sink or swim so I am of the opinion that a large, somewhat indifferent university, with high quality faculty - throws you into the fire and its up to you to get the mentoring (Texas does provide it) and learn to strugle to solve a problem - Industry is like that.

36.  John V. Nyfeler, FAIA said on July 12, 2013

My UT Austin education was a way to live a life, not how to earn a paycheck. It's sobering to realize that most of the improvements made to achieve this high ranking took place after I left. Perhaps my absence was a contributor to success.

John Nyfeler, B. Architecture, 1958

37.  Carla said on July 12, 2013

With all due respect the only two categories in which our particular ranking was better than 26 were in patents and faculty. In the category "education" we were lower than 100. So we have great faculty but less than the infrastructure we need to deliver a great education, it would seem.

38.  Kevin said on July 12, 2013

As others have mentioned already, UT should cut down the number of entering freshmen, which would greatly improve the teaching towards undergraduates and the dropout rate. U.Berkeley and UCLA do not accept such high numbers. Now is the time to do it.

39.  Neil Fazel said on July 12, 2013

The Times Higher Education ranking places Oxford and Cambridge in the top 10. Do they really belong there?

40.  gelli said on July 13, 2013

Yeah! Blessed and God continue to bless The University of Texas!

41.  Barbara M. Myers said on July 13, 2013

What great news! I'm so pleased and proud that UT
Austin has been recognized as one of the top universities in the world. Thanks to President Bill Powers for hisleadership and to the administrators, faculty and staff, who work tirelessly to provide UT students the high quality education they deserve.

42.  mohammad ammous said on July 14, 2013

I was proud of my school& in love with it in1983 , now Iam more proud wish all the best to the best,
(from amman ,JORDAN)

43.  John Goodroe said on July 15, 2013

The University of Texas should always be ranked and recognized as one of the top educational institutions
in the world.

44.  Loman park said on July 15, 2013

Great news & well deserved !! UT provided me a challenging. Career. As a rocket scientist. BSME 1958.