Recruiting Firm Hired in Search for Athletics Director

Oct. 10, 2013

AUSTIN, Texas — The University of Texas at Austin plans to hire Korn/Ferry International, an executive recruiting firm, to assist in the search for a new men’s athletics director.

Korn/Ferry will begin work immediately in identifying potential candidates to replace DeLoss Dodds, who announced his retirement last week after 32 years as athletics director. The firm also worked with the Big 12 conference to hire a new commissioner in 2012.

UT Austin regularly works with recruiting firms when filling executive leadership positions such as deans, provosts and vice presidents.

For more information, contact: Gary Susswein, Office of the President, 512-471-4945; cell: 512-694-7909.

6 Comments to "Recruiting Firm Hired in Search for Athletics Director"

1.  Tony said on Oct. 11, 2013

Why is it necessary to hire a firm to search for a new men's AD. Doesn't make any sense, why the expense, when your UT marketing department would be able to search and set up the interviews there at UT and utilize the $$ for scholarships for the Marketing Dept of School.

2.  Senor William said on Oct. 11, 2013

I'll be happy to accept that position and I'll keep Mack Brown for ten more years as Head Football Coach. Let me know, if I am hired.

3.  Marcus Dean said on Oct. 12, 2013

Why all the intrigue when it has been known for months that UT had its eye on Stanfords University AD. Once he turns down the job then the real search will begin until then they are just going through the motions so that the public will not scrutinize the school.

4.  Charles Curtis said on Oct. 12, 2013

If a recruiting Firm is hired, personal choices of UT insiders are potentially verified by an outside evaluation. Most major management positions are filled this way.

5.  Rosy said on Oct. 12, 2013

Seeach firm is a good approach. This is a critical hire so I'm glad UT is using Korn Ferry -- they're a good outfit.

A search firm does more that "recruit and schedule interviews". I don't about this specific search, but in past executive searches that I've been involved with the recruitment firm meets w/key stakeholders and identifies what the organization is looking for in a successful candiate. For example, leadership, strong financial exerpeince, communication skills, etc. etc. The firm then will put together a candidate profile and will rollout their search. They more then likely will "screen" the candidates through an Phase 1 screening only w/the KF...KF will perform research and background searches on the candidates. Then, I'm certain that KF will pass on a pre-determined number of "final candidates" that UT can select for the next phase of the selection. Sometimes search firms coordinate the enter interview process ...from scheduling of candidates, site selection for the interviews, developing of interview questions, etc. etc.

From my experience as a high-level manager ...I'm encouraged that UT is taking an executive search process for replacing the AD. That's my humble and two cents.

6.  mat curran said on Oct. 13, 2013

i agree 100% with Tony - how silly for UT to entrust some corporate head hunting firm; when the university can utilize and rely upon its own vast resources in finding the right person? Of course, now that the university has created its own television sports network, it does fit the new pattern or paradigm. How silly, how sad, though.