President Obama to Deliver Keynote at Civil Rights Summit on UT Austin Campus

Feb. 27, 2014

AUSTIN, Texas — Today, the White House announced that President Barack Obama will deliver the keynote address at a Civil Rights Summit at the LBJ Presidential Library on The University of Texas at Austin campus Thursday, April 10, 2014. First Lady Michelle Obama will attend the summit with the president.

The three-day Civil Rights Summit commemorates the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The law, along with the 1965 Voting Rights Act and the Fair Housing Act in 1968, helped establish the legal foundation in fulfilling the long elusive promise of equality among all Americans. The summit will not only celebrate those pivotal laws, but, just as LBJ would have wanted, will address the civil rights issues we face today in America and around the world.

“We are truly honored to host President Obama as the keynote speaker at the LBJ Presidential Library’s Civil Rights Summit in April,” said Mark K. Updegrove, Library director. “The world has evolved considerably in the half century that has passed since the signing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. As our first African American President, Barack Obama is the fulfillment of the promise of the Civil Rights legislation delivered by President Johnson and a bipartisan Congress.”

President Obama will be joined by three former presidents who will also deliver remarks at the Civil Rights Summit: Jimmy Carter will speak April 8; Bill Clinton will speak April 9; and George W. Bush will speak on the evening of April 10.

The Civil Rights Summit is this year’s cornerstone event of a multiyear anniversary celebration of President Johnson’s prodigious legislative legacy. Throughout the course of the next several years, the LBJ Presidential Library, the LBJ School of Public Affairs and the LBJ Foundation will partner to commemorate the anniversaries of seminal laws signed by President Johnson that continue to resonate today.

Information on the summit may be found at www.civilrightssummit.org.

AV Media Kit may be found at www.civilrightssummit.org/media.

For more information, contact: Susan Binford, 512-415-4820,, 512 415 4820; Anne Wheeler, LBJ Presidential Library, awheeler@lbjfoundation.org, Office: 512-721-0216, Cell: 512-731-2351.

10 Comments to "President Obama to Deliver Keynote at Civil Rights Summit on UT Austin Campus"

1.  Ruth Chevez said on Feb. 27, 2014

I don't know if this will get to Mr. President Obama but I would like to take the time to say thanks for all you have done for our country. You've held on tight and it's highly appreciate on my behalf. Also thanks to everything you do to help out this amazing university. Only downfall about you being in the city is that roads get blocked but you're always welcomed here. Thanks again to you and the UT board. God bless.

2.  Kim said on Feb. 27, 2014

I am do hoping to be able to witness this event! LOVE what our president is trying to do for the American people of ALL persuasions!

3.  Abdalrahman Qerqez said on Feb. 27, 2014

This is a great oppurtunity for the UT students to have a hands-on experience with our current and past presidents. I hope this event will help motivate students to strive for their best and succeed in their life long dreams. This upcoming generation will soon run this country, and we appreciate everything the presidents and this University have done for us in order to prepare us for the future. May God bless America!!

4.  David Feigen said on Feb. 27, 2014

I am the President of the University Democrats and would love to attend this event!

5.  Alicia said on Feb. 27, 2014

Where can you get tickets? for UT students

6.  Obama lover said on Feb. 27, 2014

I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED FOR THIS. I WILL FIGHT YOU TO GO!!

7.  Alma Gutierrez said on Feb. 27, 2014

President Obama , This is an honor to have you in our state. I just wanted to let you know that I am a product of President LBJ's Head Start program . It started me on my education journey and gave me an opportunity to study alongside my Anglo peers . Today I am a Pharmacist who studied at UT, the first and only one in my family. Thank you for honoring LBJ and his work.

8.  Alma Gutierrez said on Feb. 27, 2014

President Obama, thank you for taking the time to honor President LBJ and his work . I am a product of his Head Start program . I was born and raised in South Texas, Rio Grande Valley . This program allowed me to not be limited in my personal and professional growth. I became the first in my Hispanic family to graduated from UT and became a Pharmacist.

9.  University Communications said on Feb. 28, 2014

Information on how to attend can be found at: http://www.civilrightssummit.org/attend/

10.  Lissette Martinez said on March 3, 2014

Keeping hopeful that I get tickets!