Application Deadline: November 1 for fall admission
Application Available: September 1
Length of Program: 1-2 years full-time
Degree Awarded: NONE
Part-Time Study Available? YES
Distance Learning Available? NO
About the Advanced Practice Certificate Programs
The Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) certificate programs are designed for those nurses who have a master’s in nursing and wish to complete the course work necessary to sit for national certification as an APRN. Students choose a certificate track as a 1) Family Nurse Practitioner, 2) Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, 3) Family Psych/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner or 4) Adult Gerontology - Clinical Nurse Specialist. Students in the APRN Certificate Programs will complete the didactic and clinical hours necessary to take the national exam in their specialty area. They will not, however, earn a second MSN degree.
Advanced Practice Nursing (APN): Visit Advanced Practice Nursing web page to learn about APN programs.
All Advanced Practice Certificate Program plans are in PDF Format.
- Family Nurse Practitioner: Certificate Program of Work
- Family Nurse Practitioner: Certificate Program Sample Schedule
- Family Psych/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner: Certificate Program of Work
- Family Psych/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner: Certificate Program Sample Schedule
- Adult - Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist: Certificate Program of Work
- Adult - Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist: Certificate Program Sample Schedule
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner: Certificate Program of Work
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner: Certificate Program Sample Schedule
- Master of Science in Nursing degree from an accredited institution
- A GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) or comparable GPA in MSN program
- Current Texas RN licensure or a license from "Nurse Licensure Compact" state.
- Applicants to the Family Nurse Practitioner program must have two years full-time work experience as a RN completed at the time of application for admission-November 1.
- Applicants to the Pediatric Nurse Practitioner program must have one year full-time work experience as a RN with children/adolescents completed at the time of application-November 1.
- Selection of “Post-MSN” as major choice on the online application for admission
- Admission in Fall semester only"
* Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is not required
All students applying for admission to the Advanced Practice Certificate programs must complete the online application and submit the following application materials by the November 1 deadline.
Application for Admission
Complete online application for admissions and pay application fee at ApplyTexas.org. School of Nursing application is only open between September 1st and November 1st yearly. The online application is data entry only; all supporting application documents are uploaded on the My Status web page after the application is paid and submitted.
*Note: The online application should be completed at minimum two weeks prior to November 1 to allow time for all required documents to be completed and uploaded by the deadline.
Supporting Application Documents
Note: All materials are to be submitted electronically to the My Status web page after completion of the application on ApplyTexas.org, which is available two to four days after application submission.
- Official transcripts from all four-year institutions attended. Upload an official copy to the My Status web page and if admitted the official transcripts, hard copy, are required.
- Transcript for Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is required if applicable
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Purpose: See application checklist for content details.
- Three Recommendations:
- Provide the name, position, and email address for three recommenders on the application for admissions. Recommenders are sent recommendation instructions via email two to four days after the application is completed, paid and submitted.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores taken within the past two years (for International Applicants only).
For additional details on how to prepare your graduate application materials and personal statement instructions, please view following documents:
The applicant is responsible to confirm that all materials have been received by the application deadline.
Upon application completion visit My Status web page to upload application documents and to track progress of your application status.
The School of Nursing Graduate Admissions and Progression Committee (GAPC) may begin preliminary admission reviews as soon as an applicant’s file is complete; however, admission decisions are not made until after the program’s application deadline. All application materials are required to be submitted by the program’s application deadline; files that remain incomplete will not be reviewed or acted upon by GAPC.
If admitted, applicants will be notified of the admission decision by early March and will receive two separate notices: (1) an unofficial e-letter from the School of Nursing, and (2) an official e-letter from the Graduate and International Admission Center. Acceptance by both the School of Nursing and the Office of Graduate Studies is necessary before enrollment is permitted. Please be aware, if admitted, all applicants are required to meet all compliance requirements at least one month prior to the first day of class.
If not admitted, applicants will be notified by the Graduate and International Admission Center only.
Federal Student Aid Notice
Certificate Program nursing students are not currently eligible for federal student aid, including federally-backed student loans. Please note that certificate program students needing financial assistance may be eligible for private education loans. Private loans are available from various lending institutions (e.g. banks, credit unions, etc.). The university is prohibited by federal law from recommending any particular private loans to certificate program students, but we encourage you to shop competitively before choosing a particular private loan to help meet educational expenses. The interest rates on these loans vary, as do other terms and conditions. Also, most private lenders require loan certification from the school in order to verify enrollment and Cost of Attendance amounts. Click here to download the Office of Student Financial Services Private Loan Lender Form (PDF).