View Emergency Preparedness: The University of Texas at Austin website to learn about UT emergency information. Visit the UT Behavior Concerns Advice Line website that provides UT faculty, students and staff an opportunity to discuss their concerns about another individual’s behavior.
Call Student Affairs Office at (512) 232-4780, and Front Desk at (512) 471-7913 for the UT Austin School of Nursing emergency updates. Click here to download the School of Nursing Emergency Prodecures (PDF).
In Case of Emergency
If you see smoke, see flames, smell something burning, or become aware of another emergency that may require evacuation of the building, immediately, follow the steps below:
- If possible, ISOLATE the fire or other emergency by closing the door.
- ACTIVATE the nearest FIRE ALARM PULL STATION.
- EVACUATE to the PRIMARY or ALTERNATE ASSEMBLY AREA.
- Dial University Police at 911 or Dispatch 471-4441. DO NOT CALL 911 UNTIL YOU ARE OUTSIDE THE BUILDING.
If a fire alarm is activated:
- In a calm and orderly manner, proceed to evacuate the area and follow the instructions of the Fire Wardens or emergency response personnel. Each floor has two designated wardens. Their role is to ensure that everyone on their floor has proceeded to the fire exit stairs.
- Do not rush, push or panic.
- Close your office, classroom, or lab door behind you.
- EVACUATE to the designated ASSEMBLY AREAS. If your progress to the PRIMARY assembly area is impeded, proceed to the ALTERNATE assembly area.
- DO NOT USE ELEVATORS TO EVACUATE. Descend the nearest fire exit stairs in single file down to the GROUND LEVEL (first floor) and exit the building. Fire exit stairs are located on the southwest and northwest ends of the building.
- If there is someone who requires assistance, please provide it.
- Do not reenter the building unless directed by UTPD or an Austin Fire Department Officer in charge.
DO NOT BLOCK ACCESS TO BUILDING FOR EMERGENCY PERSONNEL. Do not exit through the front door of the building unless you are in the lobby areas outside the central elevators/stairwell. If you are in the courtyard outside the second floor lobby, you may exit through the glass doors to the east or west, then out to one of the designated assembly areas.
From Northwest Fire Stair Exit—proceed to first floor stairwell exit door to outside of building. DO NOT ENTER FIRST FLOOR HALLWAY AND EXIT THROUGH GLASS DOORS. Primary assembly area is across north bridge toward tennis courts. Alternate assembly area is east end of F23 parking lot near Red River St.
From Southwest Fire Stair Exit—proceed to first floor stairwell exit door to outside of building. DO NOT ENTER FIRST FLOOR HALLWAY AND EXIT THROUGH GLASS DOORS. Primary assembly area is south to Centennial Park. Alternate assembly area is across south bridge toward tennis courts.