2008 CHPR Faculty Fellowship
Faculty members interested in developing a program of research on health promotion of underserved populations are invited to apply for a Summer Faculty Fellowship sponsored by the Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Research in Underserved Populations (CHPR). This interdisciplinary center is funded by the National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Nursing Research to promote community-based intervention research to decrease health disparities and promote health among underserved populations (low-income individuals, persons with chronic disabling conditions, children/adolescents, elderly, and minorities, among others).
To provide mentoring to faculty of minority-serving institutions related to theory, research methods, or advanced technologies in health promotion of underserved populations.
Opportunity for one month of interaction with a senior faculty mentor (CHPR Center
Investigator) on your research program.
- $3000 to be applied to research-related costs to achieve the goals of the Fellowship.
- Research-intensive environment and state of the art research.
- Faculty with expertise in a number of dimensions of health promotion (see CHPR Investigators listed below).
- Faculty status at a minority-serving institution.
- Appointment in a field or discipline relevant to health promotion of underserved populations and launching or developing a program of research in this area.
Submit applications to:
Attention: CHPR Faculty Fellowship
The University of Texas at Austin
School of Nursing
1700 Red River Street
Austin, TX 78701-1499
Include a letter stating your area of interest, the plan for what you would accomplish during the summer research fellowship and how the mentoring experience would enhance YOUR research development or the program of research.
Include a letter of support from a Center Investigator who has agreed to serve as the faculty mentor (see list below of possible faculty mentors – you will need to contact the mentor to obtain his/her support).
Provide a four-page bio sketch or CV including educational background, publications, and prior research experience.
- Provide a brief budget and timeline describing how you would use the $3,000 for research-related expenses.
The Executive Commitee of the CHPR will select one Fellow. Applicants will be notified of the selection decision by May 11, 2008.
If you have questions, please email Phyllis Harmon or call at 512-471-9910.
2008 Center Investigators Offering to Mentor: