Advising & Registration
Graduate students are encouraged to access their Registration Information Sheet to verify their registration access time. Any bars on student registration must be cleared prior to adding classes. Approximately two to three weeks prior to registration, students will receive an email detailing the following procedures for advising:
- Sign up for a one-on-one meeting time with your assigned faculty advisor.
- Come to the Graduate Student Affairs Office (NUR 2.408, NUR 2.414) to pick up your Program of Work.
- After you have met with your advisor, return your signed Program of Work form to one of the Graduate Coordinators so that your advising bar may be lifted.
All students register for courses online via the ROSE Registration system. After you have been advised by your academic or faculty advisor, you will log onto ROSE using your UT EID and password. As you prepare for the registration process, it is important to have course unique numbers ready as well as a few course alternatives as your choice courses may be full or restricted to certain major codes.
Registration Access Periods are determined by the Office of the Registrar. Students can find their specific registration dates and times by logging onto your Registration Information Sheet (RIS) using your UT EID and password.
Please consult the Academic Calendar for specific registration details.
Graduate students registering for courses during the 1st through the 4th class days in the Fall and Spring, or during the 1st and 2nd class days in the Summer, may register late via the ROSE registration system. Please note: a $25 late registration fee is in effect. This fee increases after the 4th class day in the Fall and Spring, and after the 2nd class day in the Summer.
Graduate students registering for courses during the 5th through the 12th class days in the Fall and Spring, or during the 3rd and 4th class days in the Summer, MUST complete a Petition for Late Registration of Graduate Students Form (PDF) and follow the procedures outlined below:
- Student must obtain the signature of ALL instructors (check course schedule - EID required) for approval to register for their classes. In the absence of the instructor, consult the Chair in the department that offers the course.
- Student must obtain the signature of the Graduate Advisor.
- When the petition is complete, the student must submit the petition to the Office of Graduate Studies located in Main 101. The office hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday-Friday.
- If the petition is approved, the student must take the signed form to Registration Supervision, located in Main 16, for processing.
- Next the student must take the form to the Student Accounts Receivable Office, located in Main 4, for a fee bill to be printed.
- The students MUST submit the fee bill and payment to the Cashier’s Office, located in Main 8, to complete registration. Payment must be made in person (do not use the drop box) the same day the petition is approved by the Graduate Studies Office, or the registration will be cancelled.
Registration after the 12th class day during Fall and Spring or the 4th class day in Summer is only permitted in rare circumstances. In this case, the student should contact the Graduate Studies Affairs Office for help.
Problems with Registration
If you have problems with registration, please contact the appropriate office to rectify the issue(s):
- If you have an advising bar, students should contact the Graduate Student Affairs Office (232-4701 or 471-7927).
- If you have a medical bar contact the University Health Services Office (471-4955).
- If you have a financial bar contact the Student Accounts Receivable Office (475-7777) and/or the Student Financial Services Office (475-6282).
- If you have a j-bar contact the International Office (471-2477).
- If you have technical problems contact Registration Supervision (475-7656).
For all other problems related to Registration, please contact Registration Supervision at 475-7656.