Phone: 512 471-7937
Office: NUR 5.143
The University of Texas at Austin, School of Nursing
1710 Red River Street
Austin, TX 78701
Dr. Bae is an Assistant Professor of Nursing in the Graduate Program in Nursing Administration and Healthcare Systems Management. Dr. Bae received her BSN and MPH from Seoul National University and PhD from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Dr. Bae is a health services researcher focusing on nursing workforce policy, state mandatory overtime policy, comprehensive nurse staffing characteristics, and nursing sensitive patient outcomes.
- Causes and consequences of nursing workforce behavior on nursing practice and nursing sensitive patient outcomes
- Micro and macro level healthcare organizational behavior - workgroup process and effectiveness, and inter-group behavior in healthcare organizations
- Nurse staffing, turnover, and overtime
- State mandatory overtime regulations
- CMS never events policy
- Survey research method and population based survey
- “Nurse work hours and overtime study.” (Mentor: Alison Trinkoff, University of Maryland School of Nursing) funded by Mecca S. Cranley Nursing Research Mentorship Award at University at Buffalo, August 1, 2012- May 22, 2013, Role: Principal investigator
- “Western New York Nursing Workforce Collaborative.” funded by the Oishei foundation, September 1, 2010- December 31, 2012, (PD: Jean Brown) Role: Co-project director (2010-2011), project director (2011-2012 due to Dr. Brown’s retirement)
- “Nursing overtime study.” funded by Garman Grant at University at Buffalo and Sigma Theta Tau Gamma Kappa Chapter Research Grant. July 1, 2010-June 30, 2011 (12 months) Role: Principal investigator
- “Nurse turnover, workgroup process, patient outcomes.” Funded by Dissertation Completion Research Fellowship at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, January 1, 2008- May 31, 2008. Role: Principal investigator
- Bae, S-H., Trinkoff, A., Jing, H., & Brewer, C. (2013) Factors associated with hospital staff nurses working on-call hours: A pilot study, Workplace Health & Safety, 61 (5):203-211
- Bae, S-H. (2013). Presence of nurse mandatory overtime regulations and nurse and patient outcomes, Nursing Economic$, 31 (2): 59-68
- Shin, J. H. & Bae, S-H. (2012). Nurse staffing, quality of care, and quality of life in U.S. nursing homes, 1996 – 2011: an integrative review, Journal of Gerontology Nursing, 38 (12):46-53
- Bae, S-H. (2012). Nurse overtime, working conditions, and the presence of mandatory nurse overtime regulations. Workplace Health & Safety, 60: 205-214
- Bae, S-H. (2012). Nursing Overtime: Why, how much, and under what working conditions? Nursing Economic$, 30(2):60-71
- Bae, S-H., Brewer, C., & Kovner, C. (2012). State mandatory overtime regulations and newly licensed nurses’ mandatory and voluntary overtime and total work hours, Nursing Outlook, 60 (2): 60-71.
- Bae, S-H. (2012) Organizational socialization of international nurses in the New York metropolitan area. International Nursing Review, 59, 81–87
- Bae, S-H. (2011). Assessing the relationships between nurse working conditions and patient outcomes: systematic literature review, Journal of Nursing Management. 19(6):700-713.
- Bae, S-H. & Brewer, C. (2010). Mandatory overtime regulations and nurse overtime. Policy, Politics & Nursing Practice. 11(2):99-107.
- Bae, S-H., Mark, B., & Fried, B. (2010). Use of temporary nurses and nurse and patient safety outcomes in acute care hospital units. Health Care Management Review. 35(3): 333-344.
- Bae, S-H., Mark, B., & Fried, B. (2010). Impact of nursing unit turnover on patient outcomes in hospitals. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 42(1): 40-49
- Yun, Y. H., Bae, S-H., Kang, I. O., Shin, K. H., Lee, R., Kwon, S. I., Park, Y. S., & Lee, E. S. (2004). Cross-cultural application of the Korean version of the European organization for research and treatment of cancer (EORTC) breast-cancer-specific quality of life questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-BR 23). Support Care Cancer, 12(6): 441-445.
- Bae, S-H. (2013). The impact of nursing care hours, use of temporary nursing staff, and nurse turnover on patient outcomes in acute care hospital units Poster presentation at 24th International Nursing Research Congress. Prague, Czech Republic (7/22/13).
- Bae, S-H. & Fabry, D. (2013). Assessing the relationships between nurse work hours/overtime and nurse and patient outcomes: systematic literature review. Paper will be presented at the 25th Annual Eastern Nursing Research Society Scientific Sessions. Boston, MA (04/18/2013).
- Bae, S-H., Yoon, J.H. (2013). A relationship between mandatory overtime regulations for nurses and work hours using a quasi-experimental evidence. Poster presentation at the AAOHN 2013 National Conference, Las Vegas, NV (4/16/2013).
- Bae, S-H., Kelly, M., Glica, B. A., Spencer, A., & Vari, C. (2012). The Western New York Center for Nursing Workforce and Quality (WNY CNWQ), a community based collaborative. Poster presentation at the 2012 Health Workforce Interest Group Meeting of AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting, Orlando, FL (6/23/2012).
- Bae, S-H., Kelly, M., Glica, B. A., Spencer, A., & Jennings, J. (2012). An account of the Western New York Center for Nursing Workforce and Quality (WNY CNWQ), a community based collaborative. Poster presentation at the 6th Annual Nursing Quality Conference, Las Vegas, NV (1/25/2012).
- Bae, S-H. (2011). Nurse overtime regulations, nurse overtime, and nurse and patient outcomes, Paper at the International Nursing Administration Research conference. Denver, CO (10/13/11).
- Bae, S-H. (2011). How long and how much are nurses working overtime with in which working conditions? Paper at the 22nd International Nursing Research Congress, Cancun, Mexico (7/14/11).
- Bae, S-H. (2011). A comparison of nurse overtime, working conditions among nurses working in with and without mandatory overtime regulations Poster presentation at the International Nursing Administration Research conference. Denver, CO (10/12/11).
- Bae, S-H., Brewer, C., & Kovner, C. (2010). Mandatory overtime regulations and newly licensed registered nurse mandatory and voluntary overtime in U.S. hospitals, Paper at the 21st International Nursing Research Congress, Orlando, FL (7/14/10).
- Bae, S-H. (2010). Assessing the relationships between nurse work conditions and patient outcomes: systematic literature review Poster presentation at the 21st International Nursing Research Congress, Orlando, FL (7/14/10).
- New evidence of health care worker fatigue and burnout, TravelNursing.com, May 14, 2013
- Many states banning mandatory RN overtime: But is that enough to combat fatigue? Hospital Employee Health, March 2013 Vol 32, No. 3 Pages 25-36.
- RN Work Project Study: State Caps on Mandatory Overtime for Nurses Work. Robert Wood Jonson Foundation, February 27, 2012
- Cap on Mandatory Overtime, the Right Rx for Nursing Care, NJ Spotlight, February 1, 2012
- Hospitals, nurses grapple with overtime, FierceHealthcare, February 1, 2012
- OT Cap on Nurses improving care, Baltimore Sun, January 31, 2012
- Study finds laws capping nurse mandatory overtime work, Healthcare Finance News, January 31, 2012.
- Study: Caps on Nursing Overtime Improve Patient Safety, Renal Business Today, January 30, 2012
- Mandatory overtime caps for nurses having effect, Nurse.Com, January 30, 2012.
- States’ Caps on Mandatory Overtime for Nurses Having Intended Effect, New Study Finds, The Lund Report, January 27, 2012
- Relationship Between Nurse Working Conditions and Patient Outcomes, RWJF News Digest:Nursing, August 19, 2011