Phone: 512 471-9079
Fax: 512 471-4910
Office: NUR 5.152
The University of Texas at Austin, School of Nursing
1710 Red River Street
Austin, TX 78701
Dr. Hendrickson is an Associate Professor of Adult Health and Public Health Nursing. Her research is focused on underserved, Spanish-speaking populations. Research interests includes reducing childhood injury/improving parental home safety behaviors, and women’s experiences with disability. As the Primary Investigator she has recently conducted Hispanic father’s focus groups to discuss protecting children in the home. Currently, as a Co-Investigator on a study examining women’s experience of disablement she conducted interviews with those participants who wish to be interviewed in Spanish. Dr. Hendrickson's work originates from 35 years experience including Peace Corps, neuroscience nursing and education.
Dr. Hendrickson was the recipient of the 2004 Alumni Award for research and the Faculty Writing Award in 2006 and 2009 at The University of Texas School of Nursing, for Non-tenure track. She was nominated for Nursing Innovations in Nursing Education Award in 2011.
- “Hispanic Father’s Focus Groups: A Family approach to Protecting Children in the Home”. Special Research Grant, UT Office of Research Support $750.
- “A Parenting Home Safety Intervention for Low Income Pre- School Hispanic Children DHHS-National Institutes Of Health Proposal” Submitted for review June 2008, OSP #200801188.
- "Delivery of a community-based home-safety intervention utilizing promotora networks in Central Texas and southern New Mexico", Southwest Partnership Center, UTSON, 2003-2004, $15,000.
- "Follow-Up Calls on Home Safety in a Low-Income Community," Internal funding.
- "The Relationship of Depression Scores and Risk of Unintentional Childhood Injury," Internal funding.
- “Home Safety Behaviors in Low Income Mothers of 1-3 Year Old Children,” Motorola Small Grants Program (one of five awarded from 37 applicants), 1997, $3,500.
- "Promoting Helmet Use to Prevent Death and Disabling Injuries in Children: The 'Helmet Your Head' Education Intervention," Biomedical Research Grant, UTSON, 1992-1993, with Dr. Barbara Conrad, $2,995.60.
- “Health Disparities in Mexican American Women with Disabilities,” June 2008 – May 2012, with Dr. Tracie Harrison (R01 NR010360), $1.3 million.
- “Mexican-American Mothers’ Experience Around Early Childhood Home Safety Issues”, May 2005- May 2006. Southwest Partnership Center, UTSON, with Dr. J. Williams, $15,000.
- "Promoting Helmet Use to Prevent Death and Disabling Injuries in Children," Centers for Disease Control, the Texas Office of Prevention of Developmental Disabilities Grant, 1993-1994, with Dr. Heather Becker, $14,000.
- "Factors Affecting Parental Decisions to Promote Injury Prevention and Bicycle Helmet Use," 1995 with Dr. H. Becker.
- Hendrickson, S.G. (in review). Cost and Procedural Analyses for Ensuring Translation Equivalence in Qualitative Research. Nursing Research.
- Hendrickson, S.G. (2011). "An Annotated Book Review The Handbook of Injury and Violence Prevention, edited by Lynda S. Doll, Sandra E. Bonzo, James A. Mercy, and David A. Sleet, 2008. ISBN -13: 978-0387-25924-6 And Health Promotion Programs: From Theory to Practice, edited by Carl I. Fertman, Diane D. Allensworth, 2010. ISBN: 978-0-470-24155-4", Journal of Neuroscience Nursing.
- Hendrickson, S.G. (accepted). The Handbook of Injury and Violence Prevention: Book Review, Journal of Neuroscience Nsg.
- Hendrickson, S.G. (2008). Nurturing the vision through research: violence, injury and human safety (Guest Editorial). Nursing Research, 57 (3). 135.
- Hendrickson, S.G. (2008). Commentary on the Handbook of Injury and Violence Prevention, Doll, L.S.; Bonzo, S.E.; Mercy, J.A.; Sleet, D.A.; Haas, E.N. (Eds.) 2007, p. 596 Nursing Research.
- Hendrickson, S.G., Williams, J. & Acee, T. (2008). Immigrant Hispanic Mother’s Participation in a dual-Site Safety Intervention. Hispanic Health Care International. 6(2), 72-79.
- Hendrickson, S.G. (2008). “Maternal worries, home safety behaviors & perceived difficulties”, Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 40(2), 137-143.
- Hendrickson, S.G. (2007). Video recruitment of non-English speaking subjects. Western Journal of Nursing. 29(2), 232-242.
- Hendrickson, S.G. (2005). Reaching an underserved population with a randomised home safety intervention. Injury Prevention (BMJ), 11(5).
- Hendrickson, S.G. (2003). Beyond Translation...Cultural Fit. Western Journal of Nursing, 25(5), 593-608.
- Hendrickson, S.G. (2003). Expanding our understanding of injury prevention. Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, 35(1), 30-39.
- Hendrickson, S. (2005). [Revision of “Chronic Neurologic Problems”]. In Medical Surgical Nursing: Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems (7th ed.).
- Hendrickson, S. (2005). [Revision of “Neurological Assessment”]. In Medical Surgical Nursing: Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems (7th ed.).
- Rider, P. R., & Hendrickson, S. G. (2004). Neurological health problems. In K. Hill, & M.A. Hogan (Eds.), Pathophysiology: Reviews & rationales. Philadelphia, PA: Prentice-Hall.
- Hendrickson, S. (2004). [Revision of “Nursing Management: Stroke”]. In Medical-Surgical Nursing: Assessment & Management of Clinical Problems (6th ed.).
- Hendrickson, S. (2003). Primary prevention of craniocerebral trauma. In M. K. Bader, & L. R. Littlejohns (Eds.), American Association of Neuroscience Nursing, Core Curriculum (4th ed.).