Miyong Kim | Professor | Associate Vice President for Community Health Engagement | La Quinta Centennial Endowed Professor
Phone: 512 471-8361
Office: NUR 5.141
The University of Texas at Austin, School of Nursing
1710 Red River Street
Austin, TX 78701
Dr. Miyong Kim received her BSN and PhD from University of Arizona with minor in Psychology (psychometrics). Dr. Kim completed her postdoctoral fellowship on program evaluation at the University of Arizona.
Dr. Kim is a translational researcher who has built a strong program of research that has focused on community-based participatory research (CBPR) as means of reducing cardiovascular health related health disparities among traditionally undeserved ethnic minority populations.
Dr. Kim’s research program examines the effectiveness of self-care strategies for improving health outcomes and overcoming racial, ethnic and social disparities in healthcare. Using an immigrant community as a community laboratory to build sound translational science, her recent work has been focused on Korean Americans. She has conducted several descriptive studies to explore and better define barriers and facilitators to equitable care for this racial and ethnic minority population. She also has led six intervention trials to test various self care strategies to improve cardiovascular health outcomes, (R15) funded by the National Institute of Nursing Research, (twoR01s) funded by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), ( R34, R18) funded by National institute of Digestive, Diabetic and Kidney disease (NIDDK). Dr. Kim also directed the Center of Excellence for Cardiovascular Health of Vulnerable Populations at the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing, which was funded through the National Institute of Nursing Research (NINR 2009-2013).
Dr. Kim’s other research expertise includes research methods of cross-cultural research, instrumentation, comparative epidemiology and program evaluation. Dr. Kim’s scientific contributions have been well acknowledged by her peers in her induction as a Fellow of the Western Academy of Nursing (2000), the American Health Association (2003), and American Academy of nursing (2004) and recently inducted as Nurse Researchers Hall of Fame from Sigma Theta Tau honor Society (2012).
Dr. Kim’s research links community building strategies and health outcomes for individuals from underserved communities; her work continues to inform the researchers and clinicians to find community based evidence materials that deliver high quality, equitable care to increasingly diverse patient populations. Moreover, the local and global impact of her research and scholarship has changed not only the thinking, but also the research methods, among those now working in the field of cardiovascular prevention science in vulnerable populations.
- Kim MT., Principal Investigator, “Center for Cardiovascular Health in Vulnerable Populations.” Funded by NIH/NINR P30 NR011409, 2009-2013.
- Kim MT., Principal Investigator, “Community-Based Diabetes Care for Korean American Immigrants.” Funded by NIH/NIDDK 1R18DK083936, 2009-2014.
- Kim MT., Principal Investigator, “Health Literacy-Focused HBP Care for Korean American Seniors.” Funded by R01HL085567. NIH-NHLBI, 2006-2011.
- Kim MT., Principal Investigator, “Diabetes Self-Care for Korean Americans.” Funded by NIH-NIDDK 1R34DK071957, 2006-2008.
- Kim MT., Principal Investigator, “High Blood Pressure Care for Korean Americans.” Funded by AHRQ R01 HS13160,2003-2007.
- Kim MT., Principal Investigator, “Self-Help Intervention for Korean American Elderly with HBP.” Funded by NINR-NIH, R15NR05315, , 2001-03.
- Kim MT., Principal Investigator, “Building Healthy Community using CBPR strategies.” Funded by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 2005-2008.
- Kim MT., Principal Investigator, Diversity Supplement for Master student Joann Lee, for Self-Help Intervention for Korean American Elderly with HBP, R15NR05315_S1, NINR-NIH2001-03.
- Kim MT., Principal Investigator, “Community-Based Multilevel Anti-Smoking Initiatives in the Korean American Community of Maryland” American Legacy Foundation, 2002-04.
- Kim MT., Principal Investigator, “Factors Associated with Coronary Heart Disease among Korean American Elderly”. The Geriatric Medicine and Nursing Fund.1998-01.
- Kim MT., Principal Investigator, “Prevalence and Factors Associated with Prevention and Treatment of High Blood Pressure among Korean Americans in the Maryland Area”: Feasibility Study. JHU School of Nursing Faculty Research Award from the Health Promotion Research Council. 1997.
- Kim MT., Principal Investigator, “Stress, Coping, and Depression for Korean American Elderly Immigrants: Pilot Study”, JHU SON Faculty Research Award from Geriatric Research Council .1997.
- Kim MT., Principal Investigator, “Evaluation of Cross-Cultural Research.” NINR-NIH Postdoctoral National Research Service Award T32-NR07029. 1995-1996.
- Kim MT., Principal Investigator, “Depression Manifestations among Korean and Anglo Americans”. R03MH54353A, NIMH-NIH, Dissertation Research Grant. 1993-1995.
- Kim MT., Principal Investigator, “Constructing and Evaluating a Depression Scale for Korean Americans”.NINR-NIH, Pre-doctoral National Research Service Award, NRF3207029-03-6. 1990-1993.
- Wang, Y. (PI). “Johns Hopkins Pediatric Obesity Research & Training Center.” Funded by NIH U54 HD070725. 2011-2016.
- Gittelson, J. (PI). “Systems-Based Intervention Trial: Multi-level Obesity Prevention Study (B'More Healthy, Communities for Kids), 2011-2016.
- Cooper L.(PI). “Center to Eliminate Cardiovascular Health Disparities.” Funded by NIH /NHLBI P50 P50HL105187. 2010-2015.
- Han H.(PI). “Better Breast and Cervical Cancer Control for Korean American Women.” Funded by NIH-NCI 1R01 CA129060. 2009-2013.
- Ford D. (PI). “CTSA - Community Engagement and Translation Program (CETP), Funded by NIH –NCRR .2007-2012.
- Lee HB.(PI) . “Assessment of Burden of Dementia among Korean Elders in Maryland." Funded by Agency: Alzheimer’s Association 2008-2011.
- Han H. (PI). “Integration of North Korean Refugees in South Korea.” Funded by Hopkins Population Center. 2012-2013.
- Gaston- Johansson F. “Global Health Promotion Research Training Program.” Funded by NIH/ Fogarty International Center T37TW00108, 1999-2013.
- Mock V. “Center for Collaborative Intervention Research.” Funded by National Institute of Nursing Research P30 NR008995-01.
- Han H. “Moms and Girlfriends against Smoking: Cessation Intervention for Young Korean Males” funded by American Legacy Foundation .2004-2009.
- Hill M. “Diversity Scientist Award / Supplement Award to the Parent Grant: Comprehensive HBP Care for Young Black Men. National Institute of Nursing Research, 1RO1NR-HL04119. 1997-2002.
- Kim ES “Factors and Patterns of Health Care Service Utilization Of Medicaid recipients in Korea.” Funded by South Korea Government , Ministry of Health.
- Han H., “Better Breast Health for Korean American Women.” Funded by 1R03CA110939-01A1. NIH/NCI.
- Page G. “Neonatal pain, Adult Bio-behavioral responses to stress.” Funded by R01NR07742 National Institute of Nursing Research.
- Han H. “The Experiences and Challenges of Informal Caregivers Focusing on the Korean American Community” Funded by AHRQ. R03 HS013779-01, 2003-2005.
- Kelleher C. “Using Home Health Aid to Assist the Elderly with CHF.” Funded by AHRQ R01 HS 13633. 2003-07.
- Juon H. “Breast Health for Korean American Women” Komen Foundation, 2001-03.
- Duong D. “Management of Hypertensive Patients by a Clinical Nurse Specialist in the Military Setting”. Tri Service Nursing Research Program, MDA 905-98-Z-0010. 1999-01.
- Juon H. “Risk Factors for Breast Cancer for Korean American Women.” Funded by NCI, R03CA84814. 2000-2003.
- Kim, K.B., Han, H.R., Nguyen TH, Kim, B.Y., & Kim, M.T. (2014). The effect of Community based Health literacy enhanced behavioral Intervention in Korean American seniors with High Blood Pressure. American Journal of Hypertension (In press) [Epub ahead of print] March 2014.
- Cai L, Wu Y, Wilson RF, Segal JB , Kim MT , Wang Y (2014) Effect of Childhood Obesity Prevention Programs on Blood Pressure: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Circulation (In press)
- Dang D, Nyberg, D., Walrath JM., Kim MT (2014). Development and Validation of the Johns Hopkins Disruptive Clinician Behavior Survey. American Journal of Medical Quality (In press)
- Jang, Y., Yoon, H., Park, N. S., Chiriboga, D. A., & Kim, MT. (2014). Dental care utilization and unmet dental needs in older Korean Americans. Journal of Aging and Health.
- Nguyen TH, Han HR, Kim MT, Chan KS (2014). An Introduction to Item Response Theory for Patient Reported Outcome Measurement, The Patient: Patient–Centered Outcomes Research (PMID:24403095)
- Lee HB, Han HR, Huh BY, Kim BK, Kim MT. (2014). Mental Health Service Utilization among Korean Elders in Korean Churches: Preliminary Findings from the Memory and Aging Study of Koreans in Maryland (MASK-MD). Aging and Mental Health. [Epub ahead of print]
- Han HR, Lee H, Commodore-Mensah Y, Kim MT. (2014) Development and Validation of the Hypertension Self-care Profile: A Practical Tool to Measure Hypertension Self-care. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2013 Oct 1. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24088621
- Nguyen T, Park HJ, Han HR, Chan K, Kim MT. (2014). State of the science for health literacy measures: Implications for ethnic minorities’ populations. Patient Education & Counseling (accepted)
- Han HR, Song HJ, Nguyen T, Kim MT. (2014). A systematic review of literature: Measuring Self-care in Hypertensive patients. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. (In press)
- Han HR, Kim JY, Huh BY, Nguyen T, Kim MT ( 2014) The Assessment of Health Literacy in Cancer Screening (AHL-C): A New Tool to Measure Health Literacy in Cancer Screening (In press) Journal of Health Communication.
- Han HR, Park SY, Song HJ, Kim MT, KB Kim, Lee HB. (2014). Feasibility and validity of dementia assessment by trained community health workers based on Clinical Dementia Rating. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. (In press).
- Cooper LA, Boulware LE, Miller ER 3rd, Golden SH, Carson KA, Noronha G, Huizinga MM, Roter DL, Yeh HC, Bone LR, Levine DM, Hill-Briggs F, Charleston J, Kim MT, Wang NY, Aboumatar H, Halbert JP, Ephraim PL, Brancati FL (2013) Creating a Transdisciplinary Research Center to Reduce Cardiovascular Health Disparities in Baltimore, Maryland: Lessons Learned. American Journal of Public Health [Epub ahead of print]
- *Kim MT, Song HJ, Han HR, Song YS, Nam SH, Nguyen T, Nam SH, Lee H, Kim KB (2012). Development and Validation of the High Blood Pressure Focused Health Literacy Scale. Patient Education & Counseling 87 (2) 165-170. PMCID: PMC3288330
- Park HJ, Kim MT. (2012). Impact of social role strain, depression, social support and age on diabetes self-efficacy in Korean women with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 27 (1) 76-83: 21558865
- Song YS, Han HR, Song HJ, Nam SH, Kim MT. (2012). Unmet needs for social support and effects on diabetes self-care activities in Korean Americans with type 2 diabetes, Diabetic Educator 38 (1):77-85 PMID: 2222514
- Kim HR,Song HJ, Han HR, Kim BK, Kim MT. (2012). Translation and validation of the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension for Koreans (K-DASH) intervention: Culturally tailored dietary guidelines for Korean Americans with high blood pressure. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22964589
- Han HR, Song Y, Song H, Kim MT. (2012). the influence of living arrangement on the management and control of hypertension: A mixed-method study. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. [ Epub ahead of print]
- Lee JE, Kim MT, Han HR. (2012). Predicting factors related to quality of life in Korean American elderly with hypertension Journal of Immigrants and Minority Health (accepted)).
- *Pistulka G, Winch P, Park HJ, Han HR Kim MT. (2012) Maintaining an Outward Image: A Korean Immigrant’s Life with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and Hypertension. Qualitative Health Research Feb 29 (Epub ahead of print)
- *Kim MT, Han HR, Hedlin HK, Kim JY, Kim KB, Hill MN. (2011). Tele-transmitted monitoring of BP and bilingual nurse counseling sustained improvements in BP control over 12 months in hypertensive Korean Americans. Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 13, 605–612. PMID:21806771
- Song YS, Han HR, Song HJ, Nam SH, Nguyen T, Kim MT. (2011) Psychometric evaluation of the Korean version of the Hill-Bone Medication Adherence subscale. Asian Nursing Research (In Press)
- Li CY, Han HR, Kim JY, Kim MT. (2011). Factors related to Risk of Cardiovascular disease among older Korean Chinese with Hypertension Asian Nursing Research 5, 164-169.
- *Nam S, Han HR, Song HJ, Song Y, Kim KB, Kim MT (2011). Utility of point-of-care device in recruiting ethnic minorities for community-partnered diabetes research. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved 22(4): 1253-1263.
- *Han HR, Chan K, Song HJ, Tam Nguyen, A, Lee JE, Kim MT. (2011) Development and Evaluation of a Hypertension Knowledge Tes for Korean Hypertensive Patients Journal of Clinical Hypertension 13, 750–757. PMCID: PMC3188846
- *Li CY, Han HR, Lee JE, Lee M, Lee Y, Kim MT. (2010). Knowledge, behaviors and prevalence of reproductive tract infections: A descriptive study on rural women in Hunchun, China. Asian Nursing Research,4(3), 122-129.
- *Han HR, Kim J, Lee JE, Hedlin HK, Song H, Song Y, Kim MT. (2011). Interventions that increase use of Pap tests among ethnic minority women: A meta-analysis. Psycho-Oncology, 20(4), 341-351. PMID: 20878847.
- *Han HR, Kim JY, Kim MT, Kim KB (2010). Measuring Health Literacy among Immigrants with a Phonetic Primary Language: A case of Korean American Women. Journal of Minority Health, 13, 253–259 PMID: 20585985.
- *Song HJ, Han HR, Lee JE, Kim J, Kim KB, Nguyen T, Kim MT (2010). Translating Current Dietary Guidelines into a Culturally Tailored Nutrition Education Program for Korean American Immigrants with Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Educator, 36(5), 752-761. PMID:205651099
- *Kim JY, Han HR, Song H, Kim KB, Kim MT (2010) Compliance with home blood pressure monitoring among middle-aged Korean Americans with hypertension , Journal of Clinical Hypertension,12(4), 253-260 PMID:20433546.
- *Song HJ, Gittelsohn J, Kim M, Suratkar S, Sharma S, Anliker J. (2010). Korean American Storeowners' Perceived Barriers and Motivators for Implementing a Corner Store-Based Program. Health Promotion Practice, 12(3),472-482
- *Lee JE, Han HR, Song H, Kim J, Kim KB, Ryu JP, Kim MT.(2010) Correlates of self-care behaviors for managing hypertension among Korean Americans: a questionnaire survey. International Journal of Nursing studies, 47(4),411-417
- *Lee JE, Kim SL, Jung HS, Koo JW, Woo KH, Kim MT. (2009). Participatory action oriented training for hospital nurses (PAOTHN) program to prevent musculoskeletal disorder, Occupational Health, 51(4), 370-376.
- *Kim MT, Han HR, Song H, Lee JE, Kim J, Kim KB. (2009). A community-based culturally tailored behavioral intervention for Korean Americans with diabetes. Diabetes Educator, 35, 986-994
- *Han HR, Kim J, Kim KB, Levine D, Jeong S, Li C, Song H, Kim MT. (2009). Implementation and success of nurse telephone counselling in linguistically isolated Korean American patients with high blood pressure. Patient Education & Counseling, 80(1), 130-134 PMID: 19945816.
- *Song HJ, Han HR, Lee JE, Kim JY, Kim KB, Ryu JP, Kim MT. (2009). Does access to care still affect health care utilization by immigrants? Testing of an empirical explanatory model of health care utilization by Korean American immigrants with high blood pressure. Journal of Immigrants and Minority Health, 12(4),513-9
- *Lee JE, Han HR, Song H, Kim J, Kim KB, Ryu JP, Kim MT. (2009). Correlates of self-care behaviour for high blood pressure control in Korean Americans. International Journal of Nursing Studies,47(4), 411-417
- *Han HR, Lee JE, Kim J, Hedlin HK, Song H, Kim MT. (2009). A meta-analysis of interventions to promote mammography among ethnic minority women. Nursing Research, 58(4), 246-254.
- *Lee YH, Lee JE, Kim MT, Han HR. (2009). In-depth assessment of the nutritional status of Korean American elderly. Geriatric Nursing, 30(5), 304-311.
- *Song HJ, Gittelsohn J, Kim MT, Suratkar S, Sharma S, Anliker JA (2009). “A corner store intervention in a low-income urban community is associated with increased availability and sales of some healthy foods”. Public Health Nutrition, 12(11), 2060-2067.
- *Kim MT, Kim EY, Han HR, Jeong SH, Park HJ, KO MJ, KB Kim. (2008). Is mail intervention as effective as class intervention? A case of community based High Blood Pressure control intervention for Korean Americans. Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 10, 176-184.
- *Han HR, Kim MT, Choi YJ, Lee JE, Kim KB. (2009). Experiences and challenges of informal caregiving: A Korean immigrants study. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 63(5), 517-526.
- *Lee HB, Hanner JA, Cho SJ, Han HR, Kim MT. (2008). Improving access to mental health services for Korean-American immigrants. Psychiatry Investigation, 5, 14-20.
- *Han HR, Lee H, Kim MT, Kim KB. (2009). Tailored lay health worker intervention improves breast cancer screening outcomes in nonadherent Korean American women. Health Education Research, 24(2), 318-329.
- *Kim EY, Han HR, Jeong SH, KB Kim, Park HJ, Kang E, Kim KB, Kim MT. (2007). Does Knowledge Matters?: Intentional Medication Non-adherence among Middle-Aged Korean Americans with High Blood Pressure. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 22, 397-404.
- *Han HR, Kang JH, Ko MJ. Kim KB, Ryu JP, Kim, MT. (2007). Barriers to and Strategies of Recruiting Korean Americans for Community-Partnered Health Promotion Projects. Journal of Immigrants and Minority Health, 9(2), 137-146.
- *Tandon, S.D., Phillips, K., Bordeaux, B., Bone, L., Brown, P., Cagney, K., Gary, T., Kim, MT., Levine, D., Price, E., Sydnor, K., Stone, K., Bass, E. (2007). A vision for progress in community health partnerships. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action. 1, 3-17.
- *Han HR, Kim KB, Kang J, Jeong S, Kim EE, Kim MT. (2007).Knowledge, beliefs, and behaviours about hypertension control among middle-aged Korean Americans with hypertension. Journal of Community Health, 32, 324-342.
- *Shin HS, Han HR, Kim MT. (2007). Predictors of psychological well-being among Korean immigrants in the United States, Journal of International Nursing Studies, 44, 415-426.
- Han HR, Kim KB, Kim MT. (2007). Evaluation of the training of Korean community health workers for chronic disease management. Health Education Research, 9, 137-46.
- *Han HR, Kim MT, Lee HB, Pistulka G, Kim KB. (2007). Correlates of depression in the Korean American elderly: Focusing on personal resources of social support. Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology, 25, 115-27.
- *Dennison CR, Post WS, Kim MT, Bone LR, Cohen D, Blumenthal RS, Rame EJ, Roary MC, Levine DM, Hill MN (2007) Underserved Urban Black Men: Hypertension Trial Outcomes and Mortality over 5 Years. American Journal of Hypertension, 20(2), 164-71.
- *Jeong SH, Kim MT. (2007). Effects of a theory–driven music & movement program for stroke survivors in a community setting. Applied Nursing Research, 20, 164-71.
- *Kang JH, Han HR, Kim KB, Kim MT. (2006). Barriers to Care and Control of High Blood Pressure in Korean American Elderly. Ethnicity and Disease, 16, 145-151.
- *Kim, MT, Han HR, Park HJ, Lee HW. Kim KB. (2006). Constructing and Testing a Self-Help Intervention for High Blood Pressure Control Program for Korean American Seniors. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 21(2), 77-84.
- *Han HR, Kim MT, Rose L, Dennison C, Bone L, Hill MN (2006). Effect of Stress in Young Black Males with High Blood Pressure. Ethnicity and Disease, 16, 64-70.
- *Yun JU, Jo I, Park J, Kim MT, Odongua N, Kim E, Jee S. (2006) Cigarette Smoking, Elevated Fasting Serum Glucose, and Risk of Pancreatic Cancer in Korean Men. International Journal of Cancer, 119, 208 – 212.
- *Ko MJ , Kim MT , Nam JJ.(2005). Assessing risk factors of coronary heart disease and its risk prediction among Korean adults: The 2001 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES) Journal of International Cardiology, 110, 184-190.
- *Brownstein JN, Bone LR, Dennison CR, Hill MN, Kim MT, Levine DM. (2005) Community Health Workers as Interventionists in Research and Practice for the Prevention of Heart Disease and Stroke. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 29, 128-133.
- *Han YJ, Ohrr HC Yi SW, Kim MT. (2005) A study of risk factors of stillbirth in Korea. Journal of Korean Institute of Health and Welfare, 24(2), 53-79.
- *Lee SY, Kim MT, Jee SH, Yang HP (2005). Does long-term lactation protect premenopausal women against hypertension risk? Korean women's cohort study. Preventive Medicine, 41, 443-448.
- *Page GG, Blakely WP, Kim MT. (2005) The Impact of early repeated pain experiences on stress responsiveness and emotional maturity in rats. Brain, Behavior and Immunology, 19, 78-87.
- *Kim MT, Han HR, Shin HS, Kim KB (2005). Factors associated with depression experience of immigrant populations: A Study of Korean immigrants, Archives of Psychiatric Nursing,19(5), 217-225.
- *Kim MT, Han HR, Phillips LR. (2004) Metric Equivalence Assessment in Cross-cultural Research: Using an Example of the Center for Epidemiological Studies-Depression Scales (CES-D). Journal of Nursing Measurement, 11(1), 5-18.
- *Duong D, Smith C, Ross MC, Kim MT. (2004) Cardiovascular Risks in a Military Health Beneficiary Population with High Blood Pressure. Military Medicine, 169, 777-781.
- *Jee SH, Kim MT, Lee SY. (2004) Serum uric acid and risk of death from cancer, cardiovascular disease or all causes in men. European Society of Cardiology, 1741-8267.
- *Juon HS, Kim MT, Shankar S, Han W. (2004) Predictors of adherence to screening mammography among Korean American women. Preventive Medicine, 39(3), 474-481.
- *Kim MT, Hill MN. (2003). Validity of self-report of illicit drug use in young hypertensive urban African American males. Addictive Behaviors, 27 (6), 795-802.
- *Juon HS, Han W, Shin H, Kim KB, Kim MT. (2003) Predictors of older Korean Americans’ participation in colorectal cancer screening. Journal of Cancer Education, 18, 37-42.
- *Kim MT, Han HR, Hill MN, Rose L, Roary M. (2003), Depression, Substance Abuse, Adherence Behaviours and Blood Pressure in Urban Hypertensive Black Men. Annals of Behavioural Medicine, 26, 24-31.
- *Juon HS, Kim MT, Han HR, Ryu JP, Han W. (2003) Acculturation and cigarette smoking among Korean American men. Yonsei Medical Journal, 44(5), 875-882.
- *Hill MN, Han HR, Kim MT, (2003) Dennison CR, Bone LR, Roary MC, Blumenthal RS, Post WS, Levine DM. A clinical trial of hypertension care and control in young urban Black men: Behavioral and blood pressure outcomes at 36 months. American Journal of Hypertension, 16, 906-913.
- *Lee SY, Kim MT, Kim SW, Song MS, Yoon SJ. (2003) Effect of lifetime lactation on breast cancer risk: A cohort study in Korea. International Journal of Cancer, 105(3), 390-393.
- *Juon HS, Seo Y, Kim MT. (2003) Breast and cervical cancer screening among Korean American elderly women. European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 6(4), 228-235.
- *Juon, HS., Park, WM., Shin, HS., Kim BK., Kim MT. (2003) Colorectal cancer screening among Korean American elderly. Cancer Education, 18, 37-42.
- *Kim MT. (2002) Measuring depression in Korean Americans: Development of the Kim Depression Scale for Korean Americans. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 13(2), 110-118.
- *Han HR, Kim MT, Weinert CSC. (2002) Cross-cultural measurement of social support: The psychometric evaluation of the Korean translation of the Personal Resource Questionnaire 85-Part 2. Nursing Research, 51(5), 309-316.
- *Jee SH, Kim MT, Beaty TH. (2002) Segregation analysis of waist circumference, hip circumference, waist-hip ratio in the nationwide Korean family study. International Journal of Obesity, 26, 228-233.
- *Kim MT, Han HR, Kim KB, Duong D. (2002) Use of traditional and Western medicine among the Korean American elderly. Journal of Community Health, 27 (2), 109-120.
- *Lee SY, Kim MT, Jee SH. (2002) Does hypertension increases mortality risk from lung cancer? A prospective cohort study on smoking, hypertension, and lung cancer risk among Korean.Journal of Hypertension, 20(4), 617-622.
- *Kim MT, Juon HS, Hill MN, Kim KB. (2001) Prevalence and factors associated with cardiovascular disease risk factors in Korean American elderly. The Western Journal of Nursing Research, 23(3), 269-282.
- *Shin HS, Kim MT, Juon HS, Kim KB. (2000) Patterns and factors associated with health care utilization among Korean American elderly. Asian American and Pacific Islander Journal of Health, 8, 116-129.
- *Kim MT, Kim KB, Juon HS, Hill MN. (2000) Prevalence and factors associated with HBP in Korean Americans. Ethnicity and Disease, 10(3), 364-374.
- *Kim MT, Hill MN, Bone LR, Levine DM. (2000) Development and testing of the Hill-Bone compliance to HBP therapy scale. Progress in Cardiovascular Nursing, 15, 90-96.
- *Rose L, Kim MT, Dennison CR, Hill MN. (2000) High blood pressure in young Black males: A qualitative investigation of social and cultural context. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 32(3), 587-594.
- *Kim MT, Hill MN, Dennison CR, Bone LR, Levine DM. (2000) Relationship of alcohol and illicit drug use with high blood pressure care and control among urban hypertensive Black men. Ethnicity and Disease, 10(2), 175-183.
- *Juon HS, Choi YJ. Kim MT. (2000) Cancer screening health behaviors among Korean American women. Cancer Detection and Prevention, 24(2), 589-601.
- *Hill MN, Bone LR, Kim MT, Miller DJ, Dennison CR, Levine DM. (1999) Barriers to hypertension care and control in young Black men. American Journal of Hypertension, 12, 951-958.
- Kim MT. (1995) Cultural influences on depression in Korean Americans. Psycho-Social Nursing, 15 (2), 13-18.
- Kim MT. (1994) Depression awareness programs for Korean Americans. Public Health Reports, 109 (2), 177-178.
- *Sherman J, Alexander M, Dean A, Kim MT. (1994) Factors associated with obesity in preschool children. Annals of New York Academy of Sciences, 699, 287-288.
- *Sherman J, Alexander M, Gomez D, Kim MT. (1992) Intervention of obesity in school-aged children, Public Health Nursing, 9 (3), 183-190.