Phone: 512 471-7936
Office: NUR 5.139
The University of Texas at Austin, School of Nursing
1710 Red River Street
Austin, TX 78701
Dr. Radhakrishnan received her PhD and BSN from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, her Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE) from the University of Texas at Arlington, and her Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics Engineering (BE) from the University of Mumbai. She completed a post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania. Her research focuses on ways to implement home healthcare technology such as remote monitoring and homecare EHR to transform and improve current practices in caring for elderly individuals with chronic diseases.
- “Association of telehealth alerts and patient characteristics with key medical events and follow-up care received by heart failure homecare patients”. Funded by NIH through T32 NR009356 to the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, 8/2011 – 8/2012.
- “Characteristics of patients on telehealth that influence their heart failure outcomes in the home-care setting.” Dissertation award funded by STTI, Beta Zeta Chapter of the University of Massachusetts in Amherst.
- “Translation of Heart Failure Clinical Practice Guidelines for Home Care Electronic Health Record using Standardized Nursing Terminology”. Funded by University of Pennsylvania Faculty Senate Research Committee Pilot Awards. 4/2012 – 4/2013
Research Grants Completed
- “The Effects of Human Patient Simulator Practice on Clinical Performance of Nursing Students: A Pilot Study”. Funded by Commonwealth College at University of Massachusetts, Amherst MA
- Radhakrishnan. K., Topaz, M., Masterson-Creber, R. (In press) “Adapting heart failure guidelines for nursing care in home health settings: challenges and solutions”. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing.
- Topaz. M., Shalom. E., Masterson-Creber. E., Radhakrishnan. K., & Bowles K.H. (In press). “Developing Nursing Computer Interpretable Guidelines: a Feasibility Study of Heart Failure Guidelines in Homecare.” American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) 2013 Annual Conference Proceedings.
- Radhakrishnan, K., Bowles, K., Hanlon, A., Topaz, M., Chittams, J. (2013) “A retrospective study on patient characteristics and telehealth alerts indicative of key medical events for heart failure (HF) patients at a home health agency”. Telemedicine and e-health journal [Epublication ahead of print Jun 28, 2013].
- Radhakrishnan, K., Jacelon, C., Bigelow, C., Roche, J., Marquard, J., Bowles, K. (Feb 2013) “Use of homecare EHR to identify associations between patient characteristics and hospitalizations for heart failure patients using telehealth services” Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare,19(2),107-112. doi:10.1258/jtt.2012.120509.
- Radhakrishnan, K., Jacelon, C., Bigelow, C., Roche, J., Marquard, J., Bowles, K. (2013) “Association of co-morbidities with homecare nursing utilization and withdrawal from telehealth by patients with heart failure” Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 28 (3), 216-27. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0b013e3182512331.
- Topaz, M., Radhakrishnan K., Masterson-Creber R. and Bowles K.H. (June 2012). Putting evidence to work: using Standardized Terminologies to incorporate Clinical Practice Guidelines within homecare Electronic Health Records. Online Journal of Nursing Informatics (OJNI), 16 (2).
- Radhakrishnan, K., Jacelon, C., & Roche, J. (Aug 2012) “Perceptions on the use of telehealth for Heart failure by homecare nurses and patients: A mixed method study” Home Healthcare Management & Practice, 24 (4), 175-81. doi: 10.1177/1084822311428335.
- Radhakrishnan, K. (2012). “The Efficacy of Tailored Interventions for Self-Management Outcomes of Type 2 Diabetes, Hypertension or Heart disease: Quantitative Systematic Review” Journal of Advanced Nursing, 68(3):496-510. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.
- Radhakrishnan, K., & Jacelon, C. (2011). Impact of telehealth on patient self-management of heart failure: A review of literature. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 27(1), 33–43.
- Radhakrishnan, K., & Jacelon, C. (2009). Synthesis of literature on technology strategies for chronic disease management post disasters. Journal of Nursing Healthcare & Chronic Illness, 1(4).
- Zayas-Caban, T., Marquard, J., Radhakrishnan, K., Duffey, N., Evernden, D. (2009) “Scenario-based User Testing to Guide Consumer Health Informatics Design”. Journal of American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) 2009 Conference Proceedings, 719-23.
- Radhakrishnan, K. (2008). Technology and caring: Finding common ground for nursing practice. The International Journal of Technology Knowledge and Society, 4(5).
- Radhakrishnan, K., Roche, J.P., & Cunningham, H. (2007). Measuring clinical practice parameters with human patient simulation: a pilot study. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 4(1).