Section 1. The name of this organization shall be the Longhorn Association for Men in Nursing (LAMN). LAMN will also be recognized as The Longhorn Chapter of the American Assembly for Men in Nursing (LAAMN) in business conducted with or for the American Assembly for Men in Nursing (AAMN) in accordance with its status as an official chapter.
The Mission of The Longhorn Association for Men in Nursing is to foster nursing education, facilitate unity among our current and future colleagues and leaders in nursing, encourage men to consider nursing as a career, provide resources for assistance in further education and job opportunities, and promote a positive image of men in the field of nursing.
Section 1 - Equal Opportunity Statement.
- Membership in AAMN is unrestricted by consideration of age, color, creed, handicap, sexual orientation, lifestyle, nationality, race, religion, or gender.
Section 2 - Membership Types.
- There are two types of membership, “student” and “national sponsor”. Chapter members, both types, must also be paid members of AAMN at the national level.
- Student Members: Student members must be students enrolled in the University of Texas in good standing and are entitled to these membership privileges: To speak and to vote at Chapter meetings, to be appointed or elected to Chapter office, and to have Chapter membership privileges as specified in the Chapter Bylaws. Student members who have paid national dues may also serve on national committees.
- National Sponsors: Members of AAMN invited by the board to be an association sponsor are National Sponsors. National Sponsor membership in the Chapter is open to Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurses, nursing students in entry-level programs, and anyone the Board of the Chapter deems worthy of membership and is part of AAMN. National sponsors may be at any of the three national AAMN levels of membership: Full Membership, Associate Membership, and Honorary Membership. National Sponsor members may participate in discussions at all meetings, but may not vote at Chapter meetings, make motions, hold office, or assume any leadership role not given them by a vote of the chapter or appointment of chapter leadership.
Section 3 - Obtaining Membership.
- Membership in the Chapter shall be by written application to the Chapter. Membership shall not be transferable from one individual to another.
Section 4 - Suspension and Reinstatement.
- The Board of Directors of the Chapter, by majority vote, may censure, suspend, or expel any member for cause after giving such member an opportunity to have a hearing. Any member suspended or expelled may be reinstated by an affirmative majority vote of the Board of Directors. Procedures “for cause” will be determined in accordance with the Code for Nurses of the American Nurses Association.
- The annual chapter LAMN dues for members shall be $15 per new member, payable at the start of an academic year (August).
- All LAMN leadership must in pay national dues and all other members are encouraged to do so as well. The dues schedule is as follows:
- Student (for students earning first degree in nursing) - $25.00 National
- Transition (for nurses in their first year since completing degree) - $35.00 National
- LPN / LVN - $40.00 National
- Full Membership (RN) - $80.00 National
- The dues year for membership shall be a period of twelve consecutive months.
- LAMN dues shall be payable directly to LAMN. National dues will be paid directly to AAMN and proof of payment will be required of leadership. Any member who fails to pay current dues for membership to LAMN shall forfeit all privileges of membership. Any leader who fails to pay AAMN national dues after a period of two (2) months shall forfeit their leadership role and elections shall be held for that position.
Section 1 - Titles. The officers of LAMN will consist of President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
Section 2 - Eligibility. Candidates for office shall be students, not on scholastic probation or disciplinary probation, enrolled at and attending The University of Texas at Austin. No individual may serve more than one office at a time. There is a two-year term limit for all offices.
Section 3 - Succession. Officers shall be elected in April to serve one year. Respective successors will take office and accrue LAMN board voting power in May of that same year. During the interim, the newly selected officers shall consult current officer to learn policy and procedures.
Section 4 - Duties.
- The President shall preside at all meetings of LAMN, be chairperson of the LAMN Board, serve as ex-officio member of all committees, appoint special committees, approve expenditures as submitted by the treasurer and authorized by the Board, call any special meetings deemed necessary, and act as the official representative for LAMN and its constituents at meetings and other functions.
- The Vice President shall be responsible for any duties delegated by the President in regard to various committees and functions, and will fill the office of President should a vacancy occur. The Vice President coordinates monthly meetings and acts as Parliamentarian.
- The Secretary shall prepare the minutes of all business meetings of LAMN shall distribute these minutes within 10 days of the meeting; carry on all correspondence of LAMN, submit the Bylaws of LAMN to university, state, and national chapters as required, and perform all other duties usual to this office or assigned by the President.
- The Treasurer shall act as a custodian of LAMN’s funds, keep accurate record of disbursements and collections of said funds, transact all business of LAMN in accordance with policies of The University of Texas at Austin governing student organizations, and report the financial standing of LAMN.
Section 5. Vacancies
- In the event of a vacancy in the office of President, the Vice President shall become President.
- All other vacancies shall be filled by a majority vote of the Board.
- Officers filling the vacancies shall hold office only for the term of the officers they are replacing.
Section 1 - Composition. The officers of LAMN and the faculty advisor shall constitute the LAMN Board. Each Board member shall have equal voting power, with the exception of the faculty advisor who shall remain silent during voting. In the event of a tie, the faculty advisor shall cast the tie-breaking vote.
Section 2 - Authority. The Board shall have power and authority over the affairs and business of LAMN between meetings except that of modifying any action taken by the members during any business meeting.
Section 3 - Responsibilities of the Board.
- The board shall perform the duties prescribed by these bylaws and those delegated to it by LAMN.
- The Board shall establish the majority administrative policies governing the affairs of LAMN and promote its growth in keeping with the purpose of LAMN.
- The Board shall appoint standing committee chairpersons and the faculty advisor.
- The Board shall authorize expenditures approved by the President of LAMN.
- The Board shall have the power to fill vacancies on the Board by majority vote except the offices of President and Vice President.
- The Board shall set the time and place for meetings provided they do not number less than six meetings for any one fiscal year.
- Special meetings of the Board may be called by the President or upon written request to the President by a majority of the Board.
Section 4 - Failure to fulfill duties of the office. If a member of the LAMN Board fails to fulfill his or her responsibilities as defined in the Bylaws, the LAMN Board shall have the option of removing that Board member from the office. This action will require a two-thirds (2/3) vote from the other officers of the LAMN Board.
- The Board shall appoint the faculty advisor.
- The faculty advisor shall be appointed or re-appointed at the beginning of each academic year. Faculty advisor appointments shall last for one academic year.
Section 2 - Function and Responsibilities.
- The faculty advisor shall represent the faculty of the School of Nursing and advocate for LAMN within the School of Nursing and The University of Texas at Austin at large.
- The faculty advisor shall advise and support LAMN officers and members concerning student nursing issues and activities.
- The faculty advisor shall facilitate and encourage independent student leadership among officers.
- The faculty advisors can help provide continuity and advice in the design and evaluation of LAMN’s goals and activities.
Section 3 - National Sponsors.
- National Sponsors may be suggested by any voting member of LAMN. The officers or faculty advisors will then approach the potential Sponsors and determine their willingness to be a National Sponsor. If they are willing and able to be a Sponsor, they will be voted upon by the board by a simple majority.
Section 4 - Responsibilities.
- National Sponsors have no major obligations to LAMN. They are benefactors, friends of the organization, and nurses or others supportive of the mission and goals of LAMN. Besides their contributions as members of AAMN, they should seek to enrich the organization as they are best able and willing.
Section 1 - Election of Officers.
- The officers of LAMN shall be elected in April of each year by LAMN members, with successors taking office and accruing board voting power in May of that same year.
- To be elected, a nominee for any office must receive a majority of all votes cast.
- Prior to voting, nominations will be accepted from the voting body.
- The voting body shall consist only of LAMN members.
- Voting shall be by secret ballot.
- Prior to the voting period, a roster of all LAMN members shall be printed by the Board to include all LAMN members’ names in order to verify voting member participation.
- The acting Faculty Advisor of LAMN will have the ballots of each day’s voting in his or her possession. The Faculty Advisor shall appoint an impartial person of the LAMN membership as an aid to tally the final votes.
- In the event of a tie, the President shall cast the tie-breaking vote.
Section 1. There shall be a minimum of six LAMN meetings per academic year at such time and place as determined by the LAMN Board.
Section 2. Special meetings of LAMN may be called by the President or upon written request to the President by a majority of the LAMN Board.
Section 1. The fiscal year for LAMN shall be from September 1 to August 31 of the next year. The academic year for LAMN shall be from August 31 to May 1.
Section 1. Proposed amendments may be submitted to the Board by any member to be presented to the membership at a regular business meeting.
Section 2. The Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of membership at a regular business meeting provided two days notice has been given that a bylaw change will be considered at the next meeting.
Section 3. An amendment to these bylaws shall become effective immediately upon approval at a business meeting, unless otherwise specified in the document.
Section 4. An amendment must be within the acceptable scope of the policies governing student organizations at The University of Texas at Austin.
- LAMN shall officially adopt Robert’s Rules of Order to govern all business meetings.
- Any procedural area not covered by Robert’s Rules of Order shall be determined by the LAMN Board.
Adopted August 2010