What is SHARP Program?
SHARP is a health education and counseling program for fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh grade students living with asthma.
- Students meet for 50 minutes once a week for 10 weeks.
- Students meet other people who have asthma, share their experiences about living with asthma, and talk about how to manage living with asthma.
SHARP is also for members of the students’ social networks including parents, brothers and sisters, extended family members, close friends and neighbors, club and sports leaders, and school personnel.
- The Community Component is an information sharing opportunity for family members and close friends to learn about asthma and asthma management.
- Attendees learn about SHARP and discuss what students are learning during their class sessions.
- Community organizations have display tables with free items to take home.
- Child care is provided. Door prizes are awarded. Hot-boxed meals are served