Admission as a Non-Degree Graduate Student

  • You will need to check with the graduate program of your interest to see if they offer the non-degree option. A comprehensive list of our programs is available at Graduate Programs, Deadlines, and Contacts.
  • Enrollment as a non-degree graduate student is limited to one year.
  • Non-degree students are not eligible to be teaching assistants, assistant instructors, graduate research assistants, academic assistants, or assistants (graduate).
  • if you are a non-degree graduate student and decide to seek a graduate degree you must submit all application materials (see Graduate Admission: How to apply) by the program's deadline and pay the appropriate application fees. A degree-seeking student may petition to have applied to the master's degree up to six semester hours of credit in graduate-level courses that were earned while enrolled as a non-degree graduate student.

Complete the appropriate online application

Select the option for non-degree seekers and choose the major to which you wish to apply. See general information at "How to Apply".

Pay your application fee

You can pay by Visa or MasterCard when you fill out your online application. Alternately, you may mail in your fee payment in the form of a check or money order in U.S. dollars to:

Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC)
The University of Texas at Austin
P.O. Box 7608
Austin, Texas 78713-7608

Write your Application ID number (six digit), UT EID, or SSN (nine digit) on your check or money order.

The application processing fee for U.S. applicants for all programs other than those involving the Graduate School of Business is $65. The fee for the Master in Professional Accounting program is $80. The fee for the MBA program and Dual Degree programs with MBA as a part of that program is $125. Some U.S. or permanent resident applicants to the Graduate School may be eligible for a waiver of the application fee on the basis of documented financial need.

Applicants who have previously attended UT Austin will be billed an additional $10 separately through UT Direct "What I Owe" for transcripts. Please do not order transcripts directly from the UT registrar as this will slow processing considerably.

International applicants who have not previously been enrolled at the university must pay a nonrefundable processing fee of ninety dollars (U. S. $90.00) for all majors except MBA (B16100), MBA Option II (B16105), and graduate dual degree programs with the Graduate School of Business, for which the application processing fee is $125.00. The application fee for the Master in Professional Accounting (MPA) program (B01100), is $100.00.

Do not send cash or personal checks. Only cashier's checks, bank money orders, bank drafts in U. S. dollars drawn on U. S. banks, or payment by Visa or MasterCard credit cards will be accepted.

Your application will not be processed unless the fee has been paid. The application fee is NOT refundable.

Submit official transcripts to GIAC

See information on submitting transcripts at "How to Apply".

You must upload an official copy of the academic transcript from every senior college you have attended. Transcripts are not required from junior colleges and community colleges.

If documents are written in a language other than English, complete and official English translations must be provided together with the original language records. Each transcript (mark sheet) should contain a complete record of studies at the institution from which it is issued (i.e., the subjects taken and grades [marks] earned in each subject).

Even if courses taken at one institution are recorded on another college's transcript, transcripts must be submitted from the institution at which courses were taken. Transcripts must have been produced by the sending institution within the past calendar year.

You can speed the processing of your application by having your transcript(s) sent electronically. Institutions that are on the Texas Electronic Transcript Network or which use the national ANSI ASC X12 transcript format (SPEEDE) can provide electronic transcripts. GIAC prefers to receive electronic transcripts because they can be processed much faster than paper transcripts. Check with the registrar of your institution to find out if transcripts can be sent electronically.

Official test scores

Non-degree graduate applicants must submit the application fee and official transcripts, but it will not be necessary to submit a GRE score for this category of admission unless it is required by the graduate program to which you are applying. The TOEFL Score is required for international applicants. (See test score information on Requirements page.)

Check with the program to which you are applying to see which test you should take. Plan to take the GRE or GMAT in time to have the results reported to UT Austin before the recommended application date. Only test scores mailed directly from the testing agency are considered official. Test scores are received by the university approximately four to six weeks after a test is taken if the university is designated as a score recipient at the time of testing. Test scores more than five years old will not be accepted. NOTE: Some programs do not require a test score to be considered for admission. Check with the program to which you are applying.

Additional Supporting Documents

All programs have additional requirements and application materials that you must complete before they will consider your application for admission. Deadlines and additional requirements are set by individual graduate programs.

Letters of recommendation for almost all of our programs are submitted electronically. You should check the Web site of the graduate program to which you are applying for complete information.

If your program uses electronic letters, you will be given the opportunity to list the name, position, and email address for three recommenders when you complete the application for admission. After you submit your application for admission, emails will be sent to your recommenders directing them to a Web site where they may upload their letters of recommendation.

Once you have submitted your application, you can use our self-service feature on the MyStatus Web site to resend the Request for Reference email to your recommenders, if necessary. You can use this site to supply an alternate email such as gmail if your recommender's spam filter blocks the original request or has removed the link. You can also add a new recommender and send the Request for Reference email or revise your FERPA (right to view) status from retained to waived.


vertical line