Applying for Graduate Admissions


Make sure you have all the information you need to complete the online application. We have prepared a guide (pdf) to help you prepare to use the ApplyTexas application. You should submit the application as early as possible so that your recommenders will have ample time to submit their recommendations before the deadline.

It is NOT necessary to complete your statement of purpose before submitting your application. You will be able to upload it through the status check web site after your application has been successfully transmitted to UT Austin and you have received your UT EID.

It is NOT necessary for you to wait until you have received your official test scores before submitting your application. Your official test scores will be sent electronically to UT Austin (if you have designated UT Austin as a score recipient) and will be matched to your application and other documents when they are received.

Steps More Information
Complete the online application for admission
  • Applicants for Social Work do not use the ApplyTexas application and should visit the program's web page for information on their application process.

  • Applicants for the Texas MBA do not use the ApplyTexas application and should visit the program's web page for information on their application form and instructions.

  • Applicants for the Cockrell School of Engineering do not use the ApplyTexas application and should visit the program's web page for information on their application form and instructions.

  • Applicants to the School of Law do not use the ApplyTexas application and should visit the program's web page for information on their application process.

  • Applicants to all other graduate programs should use the online application at

Applicants who are U.S. citizens, permanent resident aliens, or international applicants who have previously attended The University of Texas at Austin should select the U.S. Graduate Application.

Applicants to graduate programs who are NOT U.S. citizens or NOT permanent residents of the U.S. should select the International Graduate Application.

Pay your application fee
Application to: U.S. International
Graduate School and dual programs other than MBA $65 $90
MBA and dual programs with MBA $200 $200
MPA $125 $125

Applicants who have previously attended UT Austin will be billed an additional $10 separately through UT Direct "What I Owe" for transcripts. Please do not order transcripts directly from the UT registrar as this will slow processing considerably.

Applicants to the dual degree programs will pay only the higher of the application fees.

Some U.S. or permanent resident applicants to the Graduate School may be eligible for a waiver of the application fee on the basis of documented financial need.

Paying your fee:

You can pay your ApplyTexas application fee by Visa or MasterCard when you fill out your online application. Or, after you submit your application and it loads on our system, you can pay your application fee through UT Direct "What I Owe" with MasterCard, Discover, or E-Check.

Alternately, you may mail in your fee payment in the form of a check or money order in U.S. dollars (see NOTE below). Write your Application ID number (six digit) or UT EID on your check or money order and send to:

Address (for postal service):
Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC)
The University of Texas at Austin
P. O. Box 7608
Austin, Texas 78713-7608

Street Address (for overnight letter or courier delivery):
Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC)
The University of Texas at Austin
Walter Webb Hall
405 W. 25th Street
Austin, TX 78705

Important: PLEASE NOTE:

  • Do not send cash or personal checks. Only cashier's checks, bank money orders, bank drafts in U.S. dollars drawn on U.S. banks, or payment by Visa or MasterCard credit cards will be accepted.
  • Your application will not be processed unless the fee has been paid. The application fee is NOT refundable.

Submit transcripts to GIAC

Important information about transcripts:
You must provide one copy of the official academic transcript from every senior college you have attended. Unless you are applying for the master's program in professional accounting or nursing, transcripts from junior and/or community colleges are not required.

Even if courses taken at one institution are recorded on another college's transcript, transcripts must be submitted from the institution at which the courses were taken. Failure to list all colleges on the application and provide those transcripts will be considered an intentional omission and may lead to the cancellation of your application for admission or withdrawal of your offer of admission. Transcripts from US colleges or universities must have been produced by the sending institution within the past calendar year.

Your transcripts will be evaluated by the Graduate and International Admissions Center. We do not accept evaluations from outside agencies.

There are two methods for submitting your transcript(s):

    1) If your college or university is on the Texas Electronic Transcript Network (SPEEDE), you can have your transcript(s) sent electronically. Check with the registrar of your institution to find out if transcripts can be sent via the SPEEDE server. We cannot accept electronic transcripts sent by registrars or third-party entities in any other format, i.e., by mail or by links to secure web sites.

    2) Create and upload a PDF of the official paper transcript issued to you by the registrar at your institution. If the transcript is issued to you in a sealed envelope, it is acceptable for you to open it for the purpose of uploading.

    After you have submitted your application you will receive an email that contains a link to the Status Check Web site where you will be able to upload your transcript. The uploaded transcript(s) is considered to be unofficial but will be used to process your application for admission. Please do not mail official transcripts or paper copies of your transcripts before you are offered admission. Sending paper copies of documents you have uploaded will significantly delay the processing of your application.

    Before uploading a transcript you must read these instructions.

    A note about international transcripts:

    If documents are written in a language other than English, complete and official English translations to date must be uploaded together with the original language records. Each transcript (mark sheet) should contain a complete record of studies at the institution from which it is issued (i.e., the subjects taken and grades [marks] earned in each subject.)

    Please do not upload your college or university syllabi with your transcript(s) or mark sheets.

    Before uploading a transcript you must read these instructions.

    NOTE: If you are offered admission, you will be required to submit official transcripts BEFORE you will be allowed to enroll. Official transcripts are those that bear the facsimile signature of the registrar and seal of the issuing institution. The official transcript will be compared to the document you uploaded. Any alterations or omission of information on the transcripts submitted to The University of Texas at Austin could be grounds for cancellation of your application and/or the withdrawal of the offer of admission.

Submit official test scores to GIAC - GRE or GMAT

Check with the program to which you are applying to see which test you should take. Plan to take the GRE or GMAT in time to have the results reported to UT Austin before the recommended application date.

GRE Code: 6882
GMAT Code: 396-44-45

It is not necessary to use a department code when submitting your test scores to UT Austin. (If you must select a department code, pick one that is similar to your proposed major. ) ALL test scores are sent to the Graduate and International Admissions Center where they are matched to your application materials and made available to the graduate program to which you apply whether you designate a department code or not.

Test scores are received by the university approximately four to six weeks after a test is taken if the university is designated as a score recipient at the time of testing. Test scores more than five years old will not be accepted. Only test scores mailed directly from the testing agency are considered official.

More about official test scores...

International students submit TOEFL or IELTS

International applicants must take either the TOEFL or the Academic Examination of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and submit test scores to GIAC. Check with the program to which you are applying to determine which test you should take. See requirements for admission for complete information on test scores.

Permanent residents of the United States (those who hold a green card) are not required to submit a score on the TOEFL or IELTS.

TOEFL Code: 6882
IELTS: there is no code

All international students are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS unless they qualify for a waiver.

More on waiver of TOEFL or IELTS...

Departmental requirements

All programs have additional requirements and application materials that you must complete before they will consider your application for admission. Deadlines and additional requirements are set by individual graduate programs. Most programs will allow you to upload additional supporting documents via the My Status Web site. Check with the program you are applying to for instructions on submitting additional supporting documents.

Letters of Recommendation

Letters of recommendation for almost all of our programs are submitted electronically. Computer science and Math have their own method for submitting letters of recommendation. You should check the Web site for those programs for complete information.

Electronic letters of recommendation: You will be given the opportunity to list the name, position, and email address for three recommenders when you complete the application for admission. After you submit your application for admission, emails will be sent to your recommenders directing them to a Web site where they may upload their letters of recommendation.

Once you have submitted your application, you can use our self-service feature on the My Status Web site to resend the Request for Reference email to your recommenders, if necessary. You can use this site to supply an alternate email such as gmail if your recommender's spam filter blocks the original request or has removed the link. You can also add a new recommender and send the Request for Reference email or revise your FERPA (right to view) status from retained to waived.

If your recommender is unable to submit an electronic letter of recommendation, please consult the graduate coordinator in the program to which you are applying for instructions.

Note: Application materials, including test scores and transcripts, are kept for one calendar year. If you have made application in the past, you may be required to re-submit certain credentials.


vertical line