Graduate Recruiting Travel Grants
★ This program has been discontinued. ★
Departments and programs are invited to request a grant from the Graduate School to attend a graduate recruiting event. Departments can apply to attend any program or activity that will assist them in identifying, meeting and recruiting prospective graduate students from groups historically underrepresented in their programs.
Events include, but are not limited to, graduate recruiting fairs, meetings with peer graduate programs at a feeder school, a recruiting event associated with a major conference or research symposium, and/or other similar activities.
The following guidelines apply
To request a grant, complete the Recruiting Travel Grant Application. While graduate students may be involved in your recruiting, a staff or faculty member must be the primary contact for the grant application. Submit the completed form along with a half-page summary of how this event will support your area. A copy of the event announcement/invitation is also helpful. Your application must be received at least two weeks prior to the event date.
- The event must provide an opportunity to meet 50 or more students or have significant contact with faculty who are advisers to high-quality, underrepresented prospective students.
- The Graduate School will provide up to $500 per department. This grant can be used toward registration fees for the event and or travel expenses for up to two university employees. If two or more departments submit a joint proposal for a grant, up to $1,000 may be requested. Food is not covered.
- The Graduate School will provide a table drape, recruiting materials, and give-away items along with coaching on recruiting students. Read the Guidelines for Use of Graduate School Materials for Recruiting Purposes (pdf). Use the Recruiting Materials Request Form (pdf) to request the materials.
- Departmental representatives attending the events must agree to provide general information on The University of Texas at Austin to all students interested in UT and not just those in their department's field of study. Attendees agree to direct prospective students to the My Grad School tool (cards will be provided to hand to students) and to return display materials and remaining recruitment materials to the Graduate School within three days of returning to Austin along with your Recruitment Trip Evaluation Form.
- In selecting grant recipients, preference regarding event attendance will be given to proposals for multidisciplinary events and those that will be heavily attended by members of underrepresented groups.
- In selecting grant recipients, preference regarding university/faculty visits will be given to those visiting universities with large populations of underrepresented students.
- No department will receive more than one grant per year.