Outstanding Graduate Adviser Award
The Graduate School Outstanding Graduate Adviser Award recognizes the exemplary service of one of our graduate advisers. Graduate advisers provide an invaluable service to the university and its community of students, faculty, and staff, and this award is one of the few opportunities available to recognize these individuals.
- Nominees are not required to have served a minimum number of years, but the selection committee may consider length of term in choosing the award recipient.
- In general, nominations should be restricted to graduate advisers currently serving, but in cases of exceptional circumstances, you are encouraged to contact us.
- Letters of support should focus on the nominee's contributions in his/her role as graduate adviser, as opposed to other administrative or faculty roles.
We look forward to receiving nominations and to recognizing the outstanding contributions of one of our graduate advisers. The award includes a prize, which is presented at the Graduate School/University Co-op Awards Banquet in the spring. The University Co-op very generously underwrites the prizes for this award and all of the Graduate School awards each year.
Suggested Criteria for Nomination
- The nominee's role in recruiting and retaining high quality graduate students
- The nominee's availability/accessibility to graduate students and sensitivity to their needs
- The nominee's record of preventing as well as resolving problems
- The nominee's contribution to the professional and academic development of graduate students
- The nominee's effectiveness in administering the graduate program
- The nominee's contribution to governance of graduate programs (e.g., serving on university committees concerning graduate education or the Graduate Assembly) and his/her ability to work effectively with faculty and other administrators on issues pertaining to graduate education
Nominations must be submitted online using the Graduate School's online awards system. Nominations must be initiated by academic deans, department chairs, or program directors. You will need the following items available to complete the online application:
- A nomination letter from the academic dean, department chair or program director briefly describing why this individual is being nominated
- Up to three letters of support, including at least one from a current or former student
- Dates of service as a graduate adviser
- Optional: Graduate program materials relevant to the nomination. If materials are submitted, describe the nominee's role in their production or development; e.g., conceptualization, design, writing, editing, etc.
Nominations Open: NOV. 2, 2015
Deadline: JAN. 22, 2016
Nominations and supporting documentation may be submitted via the online awards system.
Danielle Thoma, Program Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
Paula Perlman has been named the Graduate School’s Outstanding Graduate Adviser for 2015.
Read more »
For additional information
John Dalton, Assistant Dean