Health and Wellness


As a graduate student, it is important to be at your peak, both mentally and physically. Be sure to take advantage of the health-related resources available to you, from on-campus health care to free gym access.

University Health Services (UHS)

University Health Services is a large outpatient health care facility that helps keep UT Austin students healthy while they focus on their studies by providing medical care and health promotion services to students. As a UT graduate student, you can expect the same types of services from UHS that you get from your family doctor. All enrolled UT Austin students are eligible to use UHS. You don't need to sign up.

Clinical services include general medical care as well as women’s health, sports medicine, and immunization (including travel-related vaccines) and allergy shot specialty clinics. The UHS Urgent Care Clinic is similar in scope to a minor emergency center and provides services for students whose symptoms need to be evaluated before the next open UHS appointment. Nurses staffing the UHS Nurse Advice Line at 512-475-NURS (6877) can provide guidance to ill or injured students 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

UHS is located in the Student Services Building (SSB), 100 W. Dean Keaton St. (W. 26th).

To schedule an appointment, call 512-471-4955, or log on to "Online Scheduling" at

UHS Charges and Health Insurance

Students are financially responsible for all charges incurred at each UHS visit. While students are not required to have health insurance to use UHS services, UHS can file claims with many health insurance plans. Students who do not have insurance or who choose not to use their insurance at UHS may be eligible for self-pay discounts. Payment is not required on the day of service - UHS can bill students through What I Owe in UT Direct. To find out more about UHS charges and how insurance works at UHS, go to and select links to "Charges" and "Insurance."

All registered graduate students who take credit courses and pay the required fees are eligible to enroll in the UT System's Student Health Insurance Plan. All international students holding nonimmigrant visas are eligible and will be automatically enrolled in the plan to complete their registration, except those students who certify in writing that comparable coverage is in effect under another plan as approved by The University of Texas System Board of Regents. International students must enroll in the plan if dependent coverage is desired. Any family member who is a fee-paying student may be insured as a student or as a family member, but not as both.

The Graduate School urges all students to maintain health insurance coverage. If you are interested in enrolling or getting further information about this insurance coverage, visit the University Health Services Cashier/Insurance Office in the Student Services Building (SSB), Room 2.106 or call 512-475-8394 or visit

In addition, students appointed to work in an academic title for 20 hours a week for at least 4.5 months are eligible for the same insurance benefits as other UT employees. Read more about UT System Student Health Insurance at

Health Insurance through the Affordable Care Act

Through the Affordable Care Act, certain uninsured students with pre-existing conditions are eligible to get insurance through the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan. This stop-gap measure covers people with pre-existing conditions until 2014, after which they will be able to get insurance.

For more information about the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan, go to

To learn about the Affordable Care Act and how it might affect you, go to

Forty Acres Pharmacy

The Forty Acres Pharmacy is affiliated with the UT Austin College of Pharmacy and is located on the first floor of the Student Services Building (SSB). The pharmacy can fill prescriptions only for UT students, faculty and staff. They cannot fill prescriptions for spouses or dependents, even if they are covered on the health insurance policy of a UT students, faculty or staff member.

The pharmacy can fill most valid prescriptions written by a health care provider licensed to practice in the United States. Students can choose to have existing prescriptions transferred to the pharmacy for convenience by calling 512-471-1824.

The pharmacy accepts cash, checks, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, Bevo Bucks and almost all prescription drug insurance plans. Payment for pharmacy purchases is due at the time of purchase.

For more information, visit

Recreational Sports

Rec Sports’ facilities, services and programs are available to all UT Austin graduate students during any semester for which they are registered beginning the first day of classes through the day before classes begin the following semester.

As a student you have access to 500,000 square feet of indoor space, 40 acres of outdoor activity space, and 10 facilities on and off campus. Through Rec Sports, you can join clubs ranging from dance and tennis to roller hockey and water polo, play basketball at Gregory Gym, swim laps at the Aquatic Center and work out at Belmont Hall. 

You are required to show your UT ID upon entry to a recreational facility. Additional fees are charged to participate in some programs. For more information, visit

Counseling and Mental Health Center (CMHC)

CMHC helps students with their personal concerns so they can meet the daily challenges of student life. CMHC provides short-term individual counseling, psychiatric services, and group counseling. The Center regularly offers group meetings designed for graduate students, and has a self-guided MindBody lab to help students learn relaxation techniques and biofeedback. CMHC is staffed by psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, and other licensed mental health professionals.Health

CMHC also offers telephone counseling, a confidential service that offers an opportunity for UT Austin students to talk with trained counselors about their problems and concerns. A counselor is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year, including holidays. You can call when you want, at your convenience, in the privacy of your home. The number is 512-471-CALL (2255).

CMHC also addresses issues of dating/relationship violence, sexual violence and stalking through their Voices Against Violence program (

The CMHC is open to registered UT Austin students and is open between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Located in the Student Services Building,100 W. Dean Keaton Street (W. 26th), on the fifth floor. Call 512-471-3515 or visit to make an appointment or learn more.


vertical line