Tuition Reduction Benefit (TRB)
Beginning in academic year 2013 - 2014, students employed as Teaching Assistants (TAs), Assistant Instructors (AIs), and Graduate Research Assistants (GRAs) will be eligible for a tuition reduction benefit related to their student academic employment. The assistance amounts can vary based on the number of hours of the appointment and is paid on a semester basis.
The TRB will replace the Tuition Assistance Benefit (TAB) for TAs and AIs and tuition remission for GRAs. TRB will be a more flexible, nontaxable benefit for students' assignments in TA, AI and GRA (depending on the grant) job codes.
For the 2013 - 2014 academic year, all eligible TAs / AIs will receive a TRB.
GRA TRB is dependent upon funding at the unit level, and is therefore optional. Any inquiries about GRA TRB should be directed to unit administrators.
Here is how it works:
- The TRB award for the TA/AI/GRA must be created and approved.
- The department completes the TA/AI/GRA assignment in HRMS.
- Student pays the remainder of the tuition bill by due date.
- Even if there is a ZERO BALANCE, students MUST CONFIRM their registration. You must see a message in GREEN LETTERS that says, "Your registration is complete and your courses are secured."
A few things to note:
- A student must be registered to receive the benefit.
- If a student has other amounts that will be applied to their tuition bill, they will be applied in this order: Exemptions, Tuition Reduction Benefits (for TAs, AIs and GRAs), and other assistance (including Scholarships and tuition remission).
- Tuition Reduction Benefits are tax exempt. 100% of the TRB is applied to the tuition bill. No payments are mailed to students.
- GRAs may or may not receive this benefit. Check with your hiring department.
2015 - 2016 Tuition Reduction Rates for TAs/AIs
Each Long Session
(9/1 - 1/15 and 1/16 - 5/31)
Appointed 20 hours or more: $3,784
Appointed 10-19 hours: $1,892
Appointed 1-9 hours: $0
(6/1 - 7/15, 7/16 - 8/31, 6/1 - 8/31)
Appointed 20 hours or more (any session): $1,415
Appointed 1-19 hours: $0
For additional information
Karen Sacratini, Coordinator