2014-2015 Big XII Faculty Fellowship Program
The University of Texas at Austin is collaborating in a Big XII Faculty Fellowship Program to stimulate scholarly initiatives among the universities that became affiliated through the Big XII Athletic Conference (see list on right). The program offers faculty the opportunity to travel to member institutions to exchange ideas and pursue research. Faculty visits will ordinarily be for one to two weeks, but longer or shorter visits are possible. The visitor's home university pays for the trip. You can apply to the Graduate School for funding to visit another Big XII university, or you can invite a faculty member from another Big XII university to come here if their university participates in the Big XII Faculty Fellowship Program.
If you want to apply for funding to become a faculty fellow at another Big XII university during the academic year 2014-2015 (9/1/2014 - 8/31/2015):
- Eligibility: All tenured or tenure-track faculty, or those who have been in non-tenure-track faculty positions at UT Austin for at least six years, are eligible to apply.
- Procedure for applying: Faculty will use the Graduate School Online Awards System in UT Direct to apply for a Big XII Faculty Fellowship - no hard copies are involved. All applications are due online by June 1, 2014 and results will be announced around late June. During the application process, you will be asked to answer a series of short questions about the nature of your proposed visit, and to upload the following documents:
- a one- to two-page project description of your plans and goals for the collaborative visit;
- a letter or email of invitation from the host institution;
- a three-page CV (a fourth page may be used for an optional bibliography).
- Funding available: Up to $2,500 for a two week visit to help defray allowable expenses for the trip, including transportation, lodging, meals, and incidentals, but many awards are made for shorter visits at a lower amount. Funds are for travel that occurs between September 1, 204 and August 31, 2015. Approved Fellows may file a Request for Cash Advance at least two weeks prior to their visit. Please contact Alesha Williams in Accounting for instructions on requesting a cash advance.
- Report: After the visit you will submit a brief report to the Senior Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies, describing outcomes of the visit and possibly making suggestions for future planning.
If you want to host a faculty fellow from another Big XII university:
- Please have the potential visitor contact his or her provost's office to confirm that the Big XII Faculty Fellowship is available at their home institution.
- If this program is available at his or her home institution, your department, research center, school or other unit should issue a letter of invitation to the prospective Big XII Faculty Fellow. This letter should specify the dates and any particular expectations for the Fellow (lectures to be given, collaborations to be undertaken, etc.).
- Once the Fellow has been approved for funding by his or her home institution, your unit should send a letter requesting that the Fellow be named a Visiting Scholar at UT, so that the Fellow can be provided with a temporary identification card, library privileges, etc. Application for the Visiting Scholar Researcher Program can be made through the Office of the Vice President for Research.
- As host of the Fellow, you will be in charge of making arrangements for housing, office space, etc.
Contact Marv Hackert
The online application is open from April 1 - June 1, 2014.
Applicant submits online application:
April 1 - June 1, 2014.
Routing for academic chair and dean approvals: by Monday, June 16, 2014.
Results announced: late June, 2014
Iowa State University
Kansas State University
Oklahoma State University
Texas Christian University
Texas Tech University
University of Kansas
University of Oklahoma
University of Texas at Austin
West Virginia University