Advancing to Candidacy
Students apply for candidacy online through UT Direct. The information below is included in the online instructions but is also provided here so students can assemble documentation they need prior to completing the online application.
Students ready to file the Application for Candidacy should log in to UT Direct using the following address: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/ogs/forms/candidacy/app.WBX?intro_type=D
Application for Doctoral Candidacy
Consult with the graduate office in your department regarding departmental policies concerning your program of work and any steps that must be taken prior to admission to candidacy.
The Application for Candidacy form must have accurate information for it to be correctly routed to the appropriate people for signatures. If you have questions, please contact the graduate coordinator in your department.
Please go to the Registrar's Address Page and check (and modify if necessary) your university record for name, current address, and phone number before submitting this application.
In consultation with your Committee Supervisor, you are responsible for the following:
- Choice of at least four people who have agreed in advance to serve on your dissertation or treatise committee. Individual programs may have additional committee requirements. Consult with your Graduate Adviser.
- Graduate School Policy on Departing Faculty Service on Dissertation Committees.
- Selection of a supervisor or co-supervisors. Your supervisor and at least two other committee members must be members of the Graduate Studies Committee in your program. You can find a list of GSC members here.
- Selection of at least one person on your committee from outside of your program GSC.
- Delivery to Graduate School Degree Evaluators of a curriculum vita for any committee member who is not a member of the Graduate Studies Committee. Curriculum vitae may be delivered to the Graduate School Degree Evaluators in person in Main Building 101; via campus mail at mail code G0400; or via fax at 512-475-8851. To expedite processing, please include your UT EID with all vitae submissions.
- Delivery to Graduate School Degree Evaluators of a curriculum vita and a letter stating the nominee's willingness to serve at no expense to the university (.pdf) is required when an off-campus committee member is recommended for your committee by the graduate adviser. Curriculum vitae and no-expense letters may be delivered to the Graduate School Degree Evaluators in person in Main Building 101; via campus mail at mail code G0400; or via fax at 512-475-8851. To expedite processing, please include your UT EID with all vitae and no-expense letter submissions.
Changes to the Committee Membership require special approval, so you should be certain the membership is complete and correct before initiating the application. See the Graduate School Policy on Departing Faculty Service on Dissertation Committees.
Questions should be directed to your departmental graduate office.
You will be required to copy and paste or type a brief (under 60 lines) description of your dissertation or treatise proposal on the form. The UT EID system will timeout after 30 minutes and lose any changes not yet submitted or saved; so you may want to prepare this description before beginning the application. Your supervisor must approve the description.
Certification of Academic Credentials
A Program of Work (list of courses taken toward the Ph.D.) must be submitted to the Chair of your Graduate Studies Committee. The Chair of the Graduate Studies Committee must approve the Certification of Academic Credentials. The Program of Work must
- meet all of the requirements established by the Graduate Studies Committee and the Graduate School,
- be taken within the past six years,
- and must include coursework that is sufficient in academic breadth/depth.
Once you have been admitted to candidacy,
- You are required to continuously register for dissertation or treatise.
- Your first semester in candidacy is _99R; for all semesters after the first one in candidacy you must register for _99W.
- Music majors should check with their graduate adviser for registration requirements.
Once the Graduate Dean approves the application for candidacy, you will be a doctoral candidate.