Checklist for Final Submission of Dissertation or Treatise (fall, 2015)
You are required to upload your completed dissertation (see submission instructions) prior to submitting the followingrequired paperwork to the Graduate School. All paperwork is due in this office no later than 3 p.m. on December 4, 2015, and must be submitted all together.
- Committee Certification of Approved Version (aka the Signature Page). This is the page printed from your dissertation which lists all of your committee members. It should be formatted as shown in Format Guidelines (pdf). The printed hard copy must be signed by all members of your committee. All signatures must be original. No proxy signatures are permitted. This page does not have to be on cotton paper. Plain white paper is acceptable. Note: This page in the .pdf file should not be scanned in, therefore it will not be signed in the electronic file. Only the hardcopy will be signed.
- Additional Title Page. The date should be December 2015.
- Abstract. Submit one copy of your Abstract printed directly from the .pdf file. These pages should be in the final version and format, not earlier versions.
- Intellectual Property Tutorial Certification. Submit one copy of the email confirmation which verifies that you have successfully completed the online tutorial.
- Statement of Research in Restricted Regions (.pdf). Submit this form whether you conducted research in a restricted region or not. If you did travel to a restricted region, you must attach a copy of your IOC approval letter(s).
- Statement on Research with Human Participants (pdf). Submit this form whether you used human participants or not. If you did use human participants you need to attach a copy of the IRB approval letter or waiver or exemption notification to the form.
- Survey of Earned Doctorates. All PhD students are requested to complete the confidential National Science Foundation (NSF) Survey of Earned Doctorates. This survey helps allocate funding by tracking the funding granted and needed, and the jobs accepted for all 48,000 PhDs/year in the U.S. This form may be completed online at https://sed.norc.org/doctorate/showRegister.do.
- Requests to Delay Publication. All dissertations produced at UT Austin are made available, open access, through Texas Digital Libraries. Students should note that restrictions and/or holds on publishing requested from UMI do not apply to the dissertation archived at the Texas Digital Libraries. A student may request permission from the Graduate Dean to delay making the dissertation available to the public through the Texas Digital Libraries for up to two years in order to protect patent or other rights. The embargo request may be subject to the policies of funding agency(ies) that supported the research and must be approved by the faculty supervisor and Graduate Dean. This request must be supported by a written recommendation from the dissertation supervisor stating the reason and timeframe for the requested embargo, and must be submitted and approved prior to your graduation. If no petition is made to the Dean, the dissertation will be searchable on the web and available for free from UT.
- Publication/Processing Fees. All students are charged an $8 dissertation processing fee. Students who select optional UMI publication and copyright services will also be charged for the associated UMI fees: $25 for traditional publication, $120 for open access publication, $55 for registration of copyright. All of these fees are billed through The University of Texas, and you will receive an email notification when a bill has been created. These fees may be paid online through UT Direct, What I Owe or by check paid to the Cashier's Office located in Room 8 of the Main Building.
This paperwork may be submitted in person by 3 p.m. on December 4, 2015, by coming to the Graduate School, Main Building 101, or it may be mailed to arrive no later than 3 p.m. on December 4, 2015 (mail to: The University of Texas at Austin, VP & Dean of Graduate Studies, 110 Inner Campus Drive, Stop G0400, Main Building 101, Austin, TX 78712-1710).
All graduate school forms and instructions for completing them can be found on our Deadlines and Forms web page.