Transfer of Credit to a University of Texas at Austin Master's Degree


A. A student seeking to use coursework from another institution must provide the Graduate Studies Committee, through the graduate adviser of the student's program, with an official transcript, the official explanation of the course numbering system, grading system, and the course description from the catalog of the institution.

B. A petition (.pdf) to use a course from another institution on the Program of Work should be submitted as early as possible by the graduate adviser of the student's program, and the petition must be approved by the graduate dean.

C. Criteria the course(s) must meet:

  • A maximum of six (6) semester hours of work from other institutions may be approved for use on the Program of Work.
  • The grade must be either A or B.
  • The course must be graduate level. If the course is open to both undergraduates and graduates, the student must provide proof that extra work was required for graduate credit, or that only graduate students were enrolled in the course, and the course is required for a master's degree.
  • Courses may not have been used toward another degree.
  • If approved for use on the Program of Work, the course must be used within the six-year time limit. Courses older than six years may not be transferred for use on the Program of Work.
  • The course may not be taken at another institution during the semester of intended graduation at UT, because the grades may not be received in time to certify the student's Program of Work for UT graduation.

D. Petitions, official transcripts, and supporting documents must be sent to the Master's Degree Evaluator, Graduate School, The University of Texas at Austin, 110 Inner Campus Drive Stop G0400, Austin, TX 78712-1710.

E. Notification of the graduate dean's action will be sent by the degree evaluator to the graduate adviser of the student's program.

F. Coursework earned on the quarter system is normally calculated as two-thirds of the credit for courses offered on a semester basis. Thus a three (3) credit-hour course taken on the quarter system may be transferred as no more than two (2) credit hours. Coursework taken abroad or on other credit-hour systems will be recalculated for semester-hour credit and the amount of credit approved will be determined by an evaluation of the content of the course as compared to an equivalent UT course.

G. Grade Point Average Calculation

1. All approved courses that appear on the UT transcript with a UT course number are included in the overall university GPA. An example of this type of transfer of credit is a course taken through the Affiliated Studies Program.

2. Transfer courses from other institutions listed on the Program of Work may be used to justify the grade point average for the major area or for the supporting work. However, other institutions' courses are not included in the overall university grade point average.

Petition to Transfer Credit (.pdf format)


vertical line