Upper-Division Undergraduates in Graduate Courses


Upper-division undergraduates with appropriate credentials and clearance may enroll in graduate courses and use them toward their baccalaureate degrees.  The conditions under which an undergraduate student may enroll in a graduate course are as follows:  (1) he or she must have upper-division status and must fulfill the prerequisite for the course (except graduate standing); (2) he or she must have a university grade point average of at least 3.0; (3) he or she must receive the consent of the instructor of the course and the graduate adviser for the department in which the course is offered.  Some colleges and schools may also require the approval of the dean's office.  A form, Petition to Register in a Graduate Course for Undergraduate Credit, is available in college deans' offices.  Students seeking approval to enroll in graduate courses should consult the appropriate dean's office for the current form.  Undergraduates are barred from registering via the web for graduate courses.

Undergraduate students may not enroll in graduate courses that have fewer than five graduate students enrolled.  Individual divisions may impose additional requirements or bar undergraduates from enrolling in graduate courses.

A graduate course taken by an undergraduate is counted toward the student's bachelor's degree in the same way that upper-division courses are counted unless the course is reserved for graduate credit as described in Reservation of Work by Undergraduates for Graduate Credit.  Courses reserved for graduate credit may not also be used to fulfill the requirements of an undergraduate degree.


vertical line