Graduate students have the right to seek redress of any grievance related to academic or nonacademic matters. Every effort should be made to resolve grievances informally between the student and the faculty member involved or with the assistance of the graduate adviser, Graduate Studies Committee chair, or department chair. If the grievance cannot be resolved informally, students have recourse to the formal grievance procedures listed below:

Academic grievances of graduate students are handled by the Graduate School.

For nonacademic issues that deal primarily with misconduct, contact Student Judicial Services in the Office of the Dean of Students. Student Judicial Services is responsible for investigating alleged violations of institutional rules and for implementing the discipline process.

Employment grievances for Teaching Assistants and Assistant Instructors are outlined in Chapter 4,Section 4.03 of the Handbook of Operating Procedures.

There is also a process for handling employment disputes involving Graduate Research Assistants. There is no formal grievance process for other academic and non-academic positions. However, students in those positions should try to resolve any employment issues within their department, first with their supervisor and then with their department director or chair, vice president, or dean, as appropriate

The Office of the Ombudsman provides services to the university's student body by assisting students who have "university-related complaints of a non-legal nature." Such assistance includes, but is not limited to, conducting an impartial investigation of concerns, offering neutral advice, and providing mediation.


vertical line