Required Core Curriculum
(Effective for fall 2012 admissions and thereafter)
The University of Texas at Austin core curriculum consists of core course requirements and flag course requirements that “represent a university-wide commitment to general education, etc...” All core and flag requirements must be satisfied to receive a Pharm.D. degree from the University of Texas at Austin.
The School of Undergraduate Studies oversees the core curriculum and considers any requirement waivers and course substitution petitions.
IMPORTANT: If you’ve earned a prior baccalaureate degree or higher, any CORE and FLAG course requirements that you still have lacking upon matriculation into the Pharm.D. program will be WAIVED.
For CORE course requirements, please visit the following site and select the most current catalog:
For FLAG course requirements, please visit the following site:
These courses are degree requirements and as such they must be completed before your Pharm.D. degree can be conferred. Because the professional portion of the Pharm.D. curriculum is so heavy in course hours, we strongly recommend that these courses be completed prior to matriculating into the College of Pharmacy.http://www.utexas.edu/ugs/core/flags
CORE course requirements in regards to the College of Pharmacy:
- Please reference the core course requirements and reference the most recent catalog. The moment you begin the pharmacy application for the fall semester you hope to enter, reference the core course requirements link to find out if there is a more current catalog to view for any updates in core course requirements.
- If you are attending a Texas institution, you may want to use the ATE (Automated Transfer Equivalency) database to see if and how a course will transfer to UT Austin. The CORE course requirements link above provides specific courses for each requirement that will fulfill that specific core requirement.
- The First-Year Signature course requirement does not really have a course equivalent from other institutions. Read through the following site to see if you have taken course(s) that could possibly fulfill the breadth and spirit of the first-year signature course requirement: http://www.utexas.edu/ugs/sig. If you feel you've taken a course that covers the breadth of this requirement, submit a “Common Core Petition” with an attachment of your course syllabus. A syllabus is REQUIRED with petitions.
- If you are attending another Texas state-funded institution, we highly recommend that you consult with your advisor at that institution and find out what courses you need to take to be consider “CORE complete” at your institution. Any core course requirements still lacking upon matriculation into the College of Pharmacy Pharm.D. program will be WAIVED if your are officially considered “CORE complete” by your institution. This would include a waiver for the First-Year Signature course if you are “CORE complete”. Your official transcript or a letter from the Registrar's Office must have “CORE complete” printed on the document for UT Austin to honor your core completeness. When you you’ve completed your core requirements, consult with your Registrar’s Office to verify the words “CORE complete” is reflected on your official transcript before you order it.
- Students who attend private institutions and matriculate without a prior bachelors degree will have to complete the First-year Signature course at UT Austin. Upon matriculation, the College of Pharmacy academic advisor will provide opportunities on how and when this course and any other unfulfilled core course requirements can be completed
- Students who attended out-of-state institutions and matriculate without a prior bachelors degree will have to complete the First-year Signature course and the Texas government course at UT Austin or as recommended by the advisor. Upon matriculation, the College of Pharmacy academic advisor will provide opportunities on how and when these courses and any other unfulfilled core course requirements can be completed.
- Students who matriculate into our Pharm.D. program who still need to fulfill core course requirements must complete these requirements by the end of the spring semester of the P3 professional year. Pharm.D. students will not be able to progress into the P4 professional year (rotations) without proof of completion of ALL core course requirements. This could result in a delay of graduation.
- Advise: Please retain syllabi for ALL courses you take just in case you ever need to petition for any kind of course substitution or waiver at UT Austin or any institution.
- Visit our FAQ section for any additional answers to questions you may have not realized to ask.
FLAG course requirements in regards to the College of Pharmacy:
- All flag course requirements, EXCEPT, the global cultures flag course requirement will be fulfilled by courses in the PharmD curriculum.
- Please read the information and expectations of a global cultures course at the following site: http://www.utexas.edu/ugs/core/flags/global-cultures
- Fulfilling the global cultures flag requirement:
- Current UT Austin prospective students: Please consult with your undergraduate academic advisor and/or use the on-line course schedule (use filter #2 and select “Global Cultures”) to find a course that will fulfill this requirement.
- Prospective students outside of UT Austin: There isn’t a direct course equivalency for this requirement. You will need to determine if you have taken or know of a course that you feel fulfills the breadth of the global culture’s description and expectation mentioned above.
- You can obtain a preliminary approval from our flag petitions coordinator. IMPORTANT: Please submit no more than two course options for consideration and make sure you attach a copy of a syllabus for each course. A syllabus is REQUIRED in your submission.
- Flag Petitions Coordinator: Ms. Debbie Miller- email@example.com
- Being “CORE complete” from another Texas state-funded institution will NOT waive the global cultures flag or any other flag requirements.
- Students who matriculate into our Pharm.D. program who still need to fulfill the global cultures flag requirement must complete this requirement by the end of the spring semester of the P3 professional year. Pharm.D. students will not be able to progress into the P4 professional year (rotations) without proof of completion of this requirement. This could result in a delay of graduation.
Visit our FAQ section for any additional answers to questions you may have not realized to ask.
Last Reviewed: December 11, 2014