Required Core Curriculum
(Effective for fall 2012 admissions and thereafter)
The College of Pharmacy is moving forward with the adoption of UT Austin's NEW Core Curriculum. All Core and Flag requirements must be satisfied to receive a degree from the University of Texas at Austin.
NOTE: If you have a prior baccalaureate degree or higher, the CORE and FLAG course requirements that you have lacking will be WAIVED once you matriculate into the PharmD program.
For a list of the CORE course requirements, please visit the following site and select the most recent catalog: http://www.utexas.edu/ugs/core/requirements
For a list of the FLAG course requirements, please visit the following site: http://www.utexas.edu/ugs/core/flags
These courses are degree requirements and as such they must be completed before the Doctor of Pharmacy degree can be conferred. Because the professional portion of the PharmD curriculum is so heavy, we strongly recommend that these courses be completed prior to enrolling in the College of Pharmacy.
Regarding the CORE course requirements:
- You will want to take courses recommended from the site above.
If you are attending a Texas institution, you may want to use the ATE (Automated Transfer Equivalency) database to see if and how a course will transfer to UT Austin. Out of state students should complete all core requirements except for Texas government and Texas history prior to matriculation and must complete the pre-requisite work in science, math and English. Texas government and history can be fulfilled in a number of ways including online coursework and work taken during the first summer [after the P1 year].
- The First-Year Signature course is required. Read the following site to see if you have taken course(s) that fulfill the breadth and spirit of this requirement: http://www.utexas.edu/ugs/sig . Please consider using the PETITION process mentioned below to see if the course you took or plan to take will work to fulfill this requirement.
- If you are attending another Texas state-funded institution and are
considered officially "CORE complete" per your official transcript or a letter from the Registrar's Office, then you will be considered "CORE complete" with UT Austin.
In other words, any CORE course requirements lacking with UT Austin would then be WAIVED.
Regarding the FLAG course requirements:
If you have any Petitions & Core Transfer Credit questions
- All flag requirements, EXCEPT, the Global Cultures flag course requirement will be fulfilled by the PharmD curriculum.
- To find examples of Global Cultures type courses at UT Austin, please use any recent course schedule: http://registrar.utexas.edu/schedules/
Once you are in a course schedule, use filter #2 (keyword and/or skills and experiences flags ), click on "Global cultures" and find courses.
- Don't forget to use the ATE (Automated Transfer Equivalency), if necessary.
- Being "CORE complete" from another institution will not waive the Global Cultures flag or any other flag requirements.
, please contact the School of Undergraduate
(contact Petition Coordinator). In your email to the Petition Coordinator, please provide your anticipated semester/year of
admissions into the PharmD program.
Phone: (512) 232-8400 (School of Undergraduate Studies)
Last Reviewed: April 18, 2012