San Antonio, Texas
LENGTH OF RESIDENCY:
Pharm.D. degree from ACPE-accredited institution.
Completion of a residency or equivalent training.
A high level of motivation for infectious disease research.
The fellow will receive a competitive salary and fringe benefits which include two weeks paid vacation, premium-sharing medical insurance, professional travel time, and partial funding for attending professional and scientific meetings.
David S. Burgess, Pharm.D., FCCP
Christopher R. Frei, Pharm.D., M.S., BCPS
Nathan P. Wiederhold, Pharm.D.
The Infectious Diseases Pharmacotherapy Fellowship is designed to enhance the skills of clinical scientists in order to conduct independent clinical and laboratory-based research in infectious diseases pharmacotherapy. Approximately 85% of the time will be devoted to research. The remaining 15% will be split between clinical service and teaching Doctor of Pharmacy candidates and residents in The University of Texas College of Pharmacy. This fellowship is unique in that it provides an opportunity for Fellows to concurrently pursue a M.S. or Ph.D. in Clinical Science.
Fellows will gain experience in clinical and laboratory research, grantsmanship, IRB/IACUC protocol development, data analysis, and abstract/manuscript preparation and submission. Fellows will present research results at national meetings (e.g., ACCP, ICAAC, IDSA, and ISPOR). In addition to advancing existing projects, fellows will identify and develop original areas of investigation. Finally, fellows will participate in journal club, review of manuscripts submitted to peer-reviewed journals, and presentations to academic, healthcare, and community leaders in the Austin and San Antonio areas.
CORE RESEARCH AREAS:
-Clinical and Economic Outcomes
- Microbial Resistance
- Molecular Microbiology & Mycology
- Advanced Biostatistics
- Advanced Infectious Diseases
- Biomedical Ethics
- Research Design
- Teaching Excellence
The University of Texas (UT) College of Pharmacy, currently ranked 2nd in the nation, is a national leader in pharmacy education and research. Facilities are located on the UT Austin and The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA) campuses. The UTHSCSA campus is also home to University Health System, Audie L. Murphy Memorial Veterans Hospital, The Fredric C. Bartter General Clinical Research Center, and The Dolph Briscoe Library. The Division of Pharmacotherapy is located in the McDermott Clinical Sciences Building on the UTHSCSA campus and occupies approximately 19,000 square feet of space, including 6,300 square feet allocated for laboratories with state-of-the-art research equipment. There are approximately twenty Doctor of Pharmacy graduates pursuing pharmacy residencies, graduate programs, and clinical science fellowships.
The Center for Advancement of Research and Education in Infectious Diseases (CARE-ID) serves as the training center in infectious disease research for Pharm.D. students, residents, fellows, and graduate students. The Center includes two research laboratories that collectively occupy 1,500 square feet and employs a full-time research assistant. The Center is equipped with the following state-of-the-art equipment: Waters HPLC (including UV and fluorescence detector, automated sampler, WISPR), ABI PRISM 7300 Sequence Detection System (real-time PCR), spectrophotometer (fluorescence, luminescence and absorbance capabilities), -80˚C freezer, Class II/A2 biosafety cabinets, incubators (shaking and non-shaking), autoclave, peristaltic pumps, Spiral Plater, computer integrated laser colony counter, microcentrifuge, and homogenizer. Computer resources include Dell Pentium 4 and Macintosh computers equipped with Adapt II, WinNonlin, JMP, Prism, Crystal Ball, Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/Acrobat, and Microsoft Office. Several core facilities are available at UTHSCSA including bioinformatics, cytogenetics and genetics, molecular genetics and genotyping, optical imaging, and institutional mass spectrometry.
The University of Texas at Austin and its affiliated institutions are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Security sensitive; conviction verification conducted on applicant selected.