Dasta, Joseph F., M.Sc., R.Ph.
Selected Publications since 2005
1. Dasta J, Kim SR, McLaughlin TP, Mody S, Piech CT. Incremental daily cost of mechanical ventilation in patients receiving treatment in an intensive care unit. Crit Care Med 2005;33:1266-71
2. Kane SL, Dasta JF, Schneider PJ, Pathak DS, Cook C. Monitoring abnormal laboratory values as antecedents to drug-induced injury. J Trauma 2005:59:1457-62.
3. Kane-Gill, SL, Feng, Y, Bobek, MB, Bies, RR, Pruchnicki, MC, Dasta, JF: Administration of enoxaparin by continuous infusion in a naturalistic setting: Analysis of renal function and safety. J Clin Pharm Ther 2005:30:207-213
4. Schetz M, Dasta J, Goldstein S, Golper T. Drug-induced acute kidney failure. Curr Opin Crit Care 2005:11:555-65
5. LeBlanc J, Dasta JF, Kane-Gill SL. The role of bispectral index monitoring in the ICU. Ann Pharmacother 2006:40:490-500
6. MacLaren R, Devlin JW, Martin SJ, Dasta JF, Bond CA. A National Survey Characterizing the Practice of Critical Care Pharmacists.
7. Dasta JF, Jacobi JJ, Sesti AM, McLaughlin T. Addition of Dexmedetomidine to Standard Sedation Regimens After Cardiac Surgery: An Outcomes Analysis Pharmacotherapy 2006;26:798-805
8. Ng T, Singh AK, Dasta J, Feldman D, Mebaaza A. Contemporary issues in the pharmacologic management of acute heart failure. Critical Care Clinics of North America 2006;22:199-219
9. Dasta JF. Special 40th year anniversary issue: Perspectives on critical care pharmacy. Ann Pharmacother 2006;40:736-7.
10. LeBlanc JM, Kazierad DJ, Dasta JF, Schentag JJ. Impact of disease states on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors. J Clin Pharmacol 2006;46:968-980.
11. Gerlach AJ, Dasta JF. Dexmedetomidine: an updated review. Ann Pharmacother 2007;41:245-54.
12. LeBlanc JM, Seone-Vazquez E, Dasta J. International survey of hospital pharmacy practice. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2007;64:1748-55
13. LeBlanc J, Pruchnicki M, Khurma A, Rohdieck S, Dasta J. Implementation and assessment of an instructional seminar for online case-based discussions. Am J Pharm Ed 2007;71:1-9
14. LeBlanc JM, Seone-Vazquez E, Dasta J. International survey of critical care pharmacy practice. Intens Care Med 2008;34:538-542
15. Fong J, Kanji S, Dasta J, Garpestad EJ, Devlin J. Propofol Is associated with a shorter duration of mechanical ventilation than scheduled intermittent lorazepam in medical and surgical intensive care unit patients. Ann Pharmacother 2007;41:1986-91
16. Ng T, Dasta JF, Feldman DF, McLaughlin T, Padley R, Durtschi A. Differences in patients with a primary vs secondary discharge diagnosis of heart failure from a database of 2.5 million admissions: Implications for health care policy reform. Conges Heart Fail 2008;14:202-210
17. Dasta JF. Mody S, McLaughlin T, LeBlanc JM, Geneti M, Raut M. Current management of anemia in critically ill patients: Analysis of a database of 139 hospitals. Am J Ther 2008;15;423-430
18. Dasta JF, Kane-Gill S, Durtschi, AJ, Pathak D, Kellum J Costs and Outcomes of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) Following Cardiac Surgery. Nephrol Dial Transplan 2008;23:1970-4
19. LeBlanc JM, Hollenberg S, Dasta J. North american survey of inotrope and vasopressor usage in severe sepsis and septic shock. Crit Care Shock 2008;11:137-148.
20.Dasta J, Kane-Gill S. Pharmacoeconomics of sedation in the ICU. Crit Care Clin 2009;25:571-583
21. Katz JN, Gore JM, Amin A, Anderson FA, Dasta JF, Ferguson JF, Kleinschmidt, K, Mayer SA, Multz AS, Peacock WF, Peterson E, Pollack C, Sung GY, Shorr A, Varon J, Wyman A, Emery LA, Granger CB, on behalf of the STAT Investigators. Practice patterns, outcomes, and end-organ dysfunction for patients with acute severe hypertension: results from the Studying the Treatment of Acute hyperTension Registry. Am Heart J 2009;158:599-606
22. Gerlach AT, Murphy CV, Dasta JF. Have the controversies with dexmedetomidine been resolved? An updated focused review.
23. Dasta JF, Kane-Gill SL, Pencina M, Shehabi Y, Bokesch P, Riker R.
24. Mirtallo J, Dasta J, Keinschmidt K, Varon J. State of the Art Review: Intravenous Fat Emulsions: Current Applications, Safety Profile, and Clinical Implications. Ann Pharmacother 2010;44:688-700
25. Szczech LA, Granger CB, Dasta JF, Amin A, Peacock WF, McCullough PA, Devlin J, Weir M, Katz J, Anderson FA, Wyman, A, Varon J for the STAT Investigators. Acute kidney injury and cardiovascular outcomes in acute severe hypertension. Circulation 2010;121:2183-2191
26. Devlin J, Dasta JF, Kleinschmidt K, Varon J. Patterns of antihypertensive use in patients with acute severe hypertension from a non-neurological cause: The STAT Registry. Pharmacotherapy 2010;30:1087-1096
27. Dasta J, Boucher B, Brophy G, Cohen H, Hassan E, MacLaren R, Martin S, Pass S, Seybert A. Intravenous to oral conversion of antihypertensives: A toolkit for guideline development. Ann Pharmacother 2010;44:1430-47
Recent Book Chapters
1. Dasta JF, Durtschi AJ, Kane-Gill SL. Pharmacoeconomics, in Critical Care. Grenvik, A (Editor) Textbook of Critical Care, 5th Edition, 2005 pp 1732-1739
2. Martin S, Dasta JF (Guest editors). Pharmacotherapy of critical illness. Critical Care Clinics 2006;22:187-382 (April)
3. Rudis M, MacLaren R, Dasta J. Use of vasopressors and inotropes in the pharmacotherapy of shock. In: DiPiro J et al. Pharmacotherapy: A pathophysiologic approach. Appleton & Lang, Seventh Edition, 2008 Ch. 25) pp 417-439
4. Dasta JF, Kane-Gill SK. Economic impact of acute kidney failure, In Management of acute kidney problems. Jorres A, Ronco C, Kellum J, eds., Springer Publications, 2009 pp75-80
5. Dasta JF, Kane-Gill SL. Economics of Critical Care: Pharmacotherapy. In: Fink MP, Abraham E, Vincent JL, Kochanek PM (Editors) Textbook of Critical Care, 6th Edition, 2011; (in press)
6. Kane-Gill S, Dasta J (co-editors). High Risk Medications in Special Patient Populations. Springer, 2011 (in press)
7. Kane-Gill S, Dasta J. Adverse drug reactions in the ICU. In: Clinical Decision Support System on Critical Care Medicine. Kellum J (editor). 2011 (in development)
Selected Recent Lectures and Presentations
1. “Drug Costs in the ICU: More Than Meets the Eye” 37th Society of Critical Care Medicine Congress, Plenary Lecture, Honolulu, February 4
2. “Managing acute hypertension” 37th Society of Critical Care Medicine Congress, Honolulu, February 5
3."Potential Drug Interactions with Intravenous Medicines in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU)", 37th Society of Critical Care Medicine Congress, Honolulu, February 4, Poster
4. "National survey of acute hypertension management" 37th Society of Critical Care Medicine Congress, Honolulu, February 3, Poster
5."Comparison of estimated creatinine clearance using modified diet in renal disease, Cockcroft-Gault, or 24 hour urine equations in critically ill patients" 37th Society of Critical Care Medicine Congress, Honolulu, February 3, Poster
6."Pharmacotherapy of acute hypertension" 35th annual National Teaching Institute & Critical Care Exposition, AACN, Chicago, IL May 6
7."Novel Approaches to Sedation in Acute Care Setting" Austin-Area Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Austin, October 14
8. "Managing acute hypertensive crisis: An evidence-based update for clinical pharmacists", Satellite Symposium, American College of Clinical Pharmacy, Louisville, October 18
9. "Dasta J, Mirtallo J. Lipid Administration in the VELOCITY Trial: Safety and Efficacy of Clevidipine Butyrate Intravenous Emulsion in Acute, Severe Hypertension." Poster, American College of Clinical Pharmacy, Louisville, October 20
10. "Optimizing sedation in critically ill and trauma patients: make the heart and tissues happy", "Drug costs in the ICU-More than meets the eye", Advanced Critical Care and Trauma Symposium, Las Vegas, November 8
2."Update on the treatment of acute hypertension", Austin Area Society of Health-System Pharmacists meeting. March 10, Austin
3."Management of acute hypertension". Sixth annual new England critical care pharmacotherapy symposium. April 17, Boston
4."Pharmacoeconomics in the ICU: More than meets the eye" Texas Society of Health-System Pharmacists Annual Meeting, April 18, Austin
5."Economic Impact of Dexmedetomidine vs. Midazolam in Adult ICU Patients with Prolonged Mechanical Ventilation: An Economic Model" Poster, International Anesthesia Research Society, March 14, San Diego
6."Comparison of the Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Clevidipine and Nicardipine." Poster. Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists, 31st Annual Meeting, April 18, San Antonio (accepted)
7."Clinical and economic impact of ICU sedation", Oregon Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Annual Meeting, Portland, November 7.
2. "Simulation Case Study: Advances in the Treatment of Hypertensive Emergencies" 39th Society of Critical Care Medicine Congress, Miami Beach, January 9
3. "Economic issues in ICU sedation", Critical Care Forum, Toronto, June 18
4. "Update on ICU sedation", Central Ohio Society of Health-System pharmacists (April 22), Central Texas Society of Health-System Pharmacists (July 15), Gulf Coast of Health-System Pharmacists (July 17)
5. "Pro/Con Debate: Pro Ôø‡Ôø‡Ôø‡ Dexmedetomidine should be the sedative of choice for
6. "Clinical and Economic Factors Influencing the Current Use of ICU Sedatives", 45th ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, Anaheim, December 7
2. "Current and future pharmacologic strategies to prevent and manage delirium" 40th Society of Critical Care Medicine Congress, January 17
3. "Optimizing Patient Flow on the ICU Freeway" Texas Society of Health-System Pharmacists Annual Meeting, San Antonio April 15
4. "Evaluation of the hospital resource utilization associated with tolvaptan usage among heart failure patients with hyponatremia from the Everest trial." Dasta J, Kim S, Chiong J, Lin J. ISPOR 16th Annual International Meeting, Baltimore May 23
5. "Impact of Hyponatremia on Readmission Rates: Interim Results from an Observational, Prospective, Multi-center, Global Registry in Hypervolemic and Euvolemic Hyponatremic Patients." Dasta J, Amin, A, Chiong J, Greenberg A, Hauptman, P Verbalis J. ISPOR 16th Annual International Meeting, Baltimore May 24
6. "Pharmacologic Options for Analgesia and Sedation in the critically ill", ACCP Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, October 17
7. "Drug-induced acute kidney injury" ACCP Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, October 18
8. "Evaluate recent literature on the management of pain, sedation, and delirium in the ICU", ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, New Orleans, LA December 8
The University of Texas
2409 University Ave.
Austin, TX, USA
Email Address: pharmacy
Dr. Jamie Barner was named as the recipient of the Educator of the Year at the first College of Pharmacy Teaching Awards Ceremony and Reception.
>Read more about this honor.
Dr. Carolyn Brown has been appointed to a position on the Intercollegiate Athletics Council for Women.
Read more about this appointment.
A book edited by Dr. Marv Shepherd has been chosen to receive the American Medical Writers Association's 2011
Medical Book Award.
>Read more about this honor.