Crime Prevention Unit
The mission of the Crime Prevention Unit is to reduce the incidence of crimes against persons and property on the UT Austin campus through public education. The Crime Prevention Unit accomplishes its mission by application of the following objectives:
- Dissemination of information through crime prevention programs to students, faculty and staff.
- Compilation and analysis of local crime statistics for public and departmental use.
- Preparation of information bulletins on known criminal offenders identified on campus for distribution to patrol officers.
- Coordination of alarm service.
Although the department considers all of its officers crime prevention officers, the designated crime prevention specialists are Officer Layne Brewster and Officer Jimmy Moore. Services offered to the university community include:
- Alarm system updates and improvements
- Alcohol awareness programs
- Analysis and recommendation for new security systems
- Follow-up on false alarms
- Free engravers for identification of personal property
- Lending of light timers for use during vacations.
- Lighting surveys
- Personal safety programs
- Security surveys
- Tactical communication courses for University staff