Visit the International Balzan Foundation Web site.
VPR Internal Deadline
Funding Agency Deadline
Funding or Award Criteria
“The main concern of the Foundation is to award the Balzan Prizes, which are given annually to personalities who have earned international distinction in their fields, regardless of nationality, race or creed…subjects are chosen annually by the Balzan Foundation. Two Prizes are awarded in the humanities (literature, the moral sciences and the arts) and two in the sciences (medicine and the physical, mathematical and natural sciences). By rotating subjects, a special characteristic of the Balzan Prizes, it is possible to give preference to new or emerging lines of research, and to sustain important fields of study that may have been overlooked by other great forms of international recognition.” In 2001, the Articles of the Balzan Foundation made a stipulation that prizewinners must destine half of the prize to finance research projects that are preferably carried out by young scholars or scientists.” The prize is 750,000 Swiss francs (~U.S. $794,000).
The four Balzan Prizes, two per category, are awarded to scholars, artists and scientists who have distinguished themselves in their fields on an international level.
- Solid Earth Sciences, with emphasis on interdisciplinary research
# of Nominees Allowed
1 for each category
VPR Required Documents
- Dean’s thorough yet concise letter of support, including a statement of reasons for the nomination, and mention of particularly important publications;
- Nominee’s Curriculum Vitae, including biography, date and place of birth, nationality, residence and address, present position/function and main academic activities;
- A recent photograph with indication of copyright if applicable; and
Additional required documents for:
- Humanities Nominees: a bibliography (including the above-mentioned publications, citing publisher and publication year, and adding translations of original titles should there be works translated into other languages); or
- Sciences Nominees: a detailed list of 10-20 of nominee’s most important publications (with full bibliographical citation).
For more information, please contact Liza Scarborough at 471-2877, or email@example.com.
Nominee(s) Selected to Advance