Visit the Enrico Fermi Award website.
VPR Internal Deadline
Funding Agency Deadline
Funding or Award Criteria
The Enrico Fermi Award is bestowed by the President of the United States to an individual or individuals of international stature in recognition of exceptional scientific, technical, engineering, and/or management achievements related to the broad missions of the U.S. Department of Energy and its programs. The Fermi Award is administered on behalf of the White House by the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Science.
- The Fermi Award is given for distinguished achievement, leadership, and service related to all basic and applied research, science, and technology supported by the U.S. Department of Energy and its programs.
- The achievements must be identifiable as lasting, impactful, and substantial.
- Only living nominees will be considered.
- The Fermi Award is not limited to U.S. citizens.
- The Fermi Award is not limited to researchers whose work has been funded by the U.S. Department of Energy (or its predecessor agencies).
“…scientific, technical, engineering, and/or management related to the development, use, control, or production of energy. (This is broadly interpreted as encompassing all basic and applied research, science, and technology supported by the U.S. Department of Energy and its programs.)”
# of Nominees Allowed
VPR Required Documents
Invited deans may submit one nominee whose package includes:
- A letter of justification.
- Curriculum vitae.
- A bibliography of significant publications (Please omit any secondary publications and non-archival materials from the nominee¹s bibliography and do not include complete articles as part of the nomination).
- The names and contact information of six individuals willing to provide recommendation letters, and who are familiar with the nominee's work.
- A suggested citation, thirty-five words or less, summarizing and highlighting the nominee¹s achievement.
When a nominee has been identified by VPR, this office will solicit the six letters of support (a minimum of three will be submitted, and no more than six). For more information, please contact Liza Scarborough at 471-2877, or email@example.com.
Nominee(s) Selected to Advance
Allen J. Bard, Chemistry and Biochemistry