Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin
(512) 832-7389 (TxDOT Austin District Office)
(512) 232-3153 FAX
Dr. Murphy is a Research Fellow at CTR. He has over 25 years experience in highway design, pavement design and evaluation, non-destructive testing, super-heavy load analysis, load zone analysis and accelerated pavement testing.
Dr. Murphy worked for the Oklahoma Department of Transportation for 8 years, including 4 years in the Rural Roadway Design office in Oklahoma City and 4 years at the ODOT design office located in the Oklahoma State University School of Civil Engineering. While working for ODOT at OSU he earned a BS in Civil Engineering (1981) and an MS in Civil Engineering (1982). Dr. Murphy began work with the Texas Department of Transportation in 1983 in the Wichita Falls District as an Engineering Assistant and eventually supervised the Central Design Office. In 1989 he transferred to the TxDOT Maintenance Division – Pavement Management Section in Austin and began work on a Ph.D. at UT while continuing work with TxDOT. During his tenure with TxDOT he was the Assistant Director of the Design Division – Pavements Section and retired in 2007 as the Branch Manager of the Construction Division – Pavements and Materials Systems Branch.
- Pavement Management
- Pavement Design
- Non-destructive testing
- Super Heavy Load and Load Zone roadway analysis
- Policy Regarding Truck Size and Weight
- Dr. Zhanmin Zhang, P.E. and Dr. Michael Murphy, P.E., ‘2030 Committee Texas Transportation Needs Report - Chapter 2 ‘Pavement Needs’, February, 2009.
- Jackson J. and Murphy M “Strategies for Application of the Falling Weight Deflectometer to Evaluate Load Transfer Efficiency at Joints in Jointed Concrete Pavements”; ASTM STP 1198.
- Jackson J. and Murphy M “Implementation of Falling Weight Deflectometer Load-Zoning Procedure in Texas” Transportation Research Board - TRB 1377.
- Chen, D, Murphy, M., and Yeggoni, M., “Application of FWD in Analyzing Finite Width Effect of Pavements” 11th ASCE Engineering Mechanics Conference, Boca Raton, Fl, May 19-22, 1996, pp 705-708.
- Chen, D., Murphy, M, “Analysis of Pavement Structural Responses using In-situ Instrumentation” Proceedings, 11th ASCE Engineering Mechanics Conference, Boca Raton, Fl,, May 19-22, 1996, pp. 1018-1021.
Ongoing Research Projects and Interagency Contracts
- Technical Assistance to the Austin District of TxDOT September 2009 – August 2011
- IPR 4322 ‘Implementation of a Network-Level Pavement Structural Condition Index Based on Falling Weight Deflectometer Data’ Dr. Michael Murphy (RS) Dr. Zhanmin Zhang and Sruthi Peddibhotla
- Project 0-6655 ‘Pavement Preservation Optimization’ Dec. 2009 – Aug. 2010 Dr. Zhanmin Zhang and Dr. Michael R. Murphy