Doctoral Student: Human Development and Family Sciences
University of Texas at Austin, 2002 - present
Accelerated Teaching Certification Program
University of Texas at Edinburgh, 1997
Bachelor of Arts: English with Honors in Science, Technology and Society
Pennsylvania State University at University Park, 1996
Grant funded Socio-political research exchange
Freie Universitat in Berlin, Germany
Awards and Honors
Pre-emptive Recruitment Fellowship
University of Texas at Austin, Human Development and Family Sciences, 2002-2003
Reunification of Germany Effects on Gender, German Government, 1994
Honors Program Scholarship
Pennsylvania State University, 1991-1995
Bell of Pennsylvania, 1991
Edmund Jones Scholarship, 1991
Law and Citizenship Award
Borough of Swarthmore, PA, 1991
National Merit Finalist
Academic Work Experience
Research Assistant, Pennsylvania State University, School of Nursing, June 1995 - January 1996
Federally Funded Comfort Project, under the direction of Dr. Janice Morse
- Conducted telephone interviews
- Coded videotapes
- Telephone and Field Data Collection
- Data Analysis
Middle School Teacher, Teach for America-Rio Grande Valley, August 1996 –May 1998
- Simultaneously taught reading, English, history and journalism to 6th and 8th grade students.
- Despite significant federal budget cuts for this program, was able to significantly develop or improve the curriculum responding to the needs/interests of students.
- Initiated and implemented a college preparatory program for 35 students with learning potential for advanced education.
- Authored a grant and created fundraising events for 12 field trips.
- Developed a motivational “Career Day” featuring professionals from a variety of disciplines.
- Designed and produced a yearbook for a school with nine grade levels.
Independent Research Study, Freie Universitat, Berlin, Germany, February –August 1994
Walls are Not Forever -- The Effect of the Reunification on East German Women, funded by German Government (Stiftung Luftbruckendank) and accredited by Penn State Honors Program.
- Interviewed East German women from various backgrounds and wrote an undergraduate honors thesis.
National Council on Family Relations (NCFR), 2002 - date
English, German, and some Spanish
The PAIR Project at the University of Texas at Austin
Principal Investigator, Ted L. Huston
Page last modified:
5 December 2002