University of Toronto, Department of Classics
125 Queen's Park
Canada M5S 2C7
E-mail: nakassis[at]gmail[dot]com, d.nakassis[at]utoronto[dot]ca
- The University of Texas at Austin, Ph.D. in Classical Archaeology, 2006
Thesis: The Individual and the Mycenaean State: Agency and Prosopography in the Linear B Texts from Pylos
- American School of Classical Studies at Athens, regular member, 2003-2004
- The University of Texas at Austin, M.A. in Greek, 2000
- University of Michigan, B.A. in Classical Archaeology and Economics, 1997
- Assistant Professor, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, 2008-
- Visiting Assistant Professor, The Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida, 2007-2008
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas, 2006-2007
- M. Galaty, D. Nakassis, and W. Parkinson, editors. "Forum: Redistribution in Aegean Palatial Societies," American Journal of Archaeology 115.2 (2011) 175-244.
- "Labor Mobilization in Mycenaean Pylos," in XIIIe colloque international sur les texts myceniens et egeens (Pisa-Rome: Fabrizio Serra, forthcoming).
- "Structuration and the State in Mycenaean Greece," in Early Writing and Agency in Archaeology, ed. J. Englehardt (Boulder: University Press of Colorado, forthcoming).
- "Introduction: Individual Intentionality, Social Structure, and Material Agency in Early Writing and Emerging Script Technologies," in Early Writing and Agency in Archaeology, ed. J. Englehardt (Boulder: University Press of Colorado, forthcoming), co-authored with J. Englehardt.
- "Prestige and Interest: Feasting and the King in Mycenaean Pylos," Hesperia 81.1 (2012).
- "Athens, Kylon, and the Dipolieia," Greek, Roman and Byzantine Studies 51.3 (2011) 363-381.
- "State and Society," in The Oxford Handbook of the Bronze Age Aegean, ed. E. H. Cline (Oxford 2010) 239-250, co-authored with M. Galaty and W. Parkinson.
- "Reevaluating Staple and Wealth Finance at Mycenaean Pylos," in Political Economies of the Aegean Bronze Age, ed. D. J. Pullen (Oxford 2010) 127-148.
- "Named Individuals and the Mycenaean State at Pylos," in Colloquium Romanum, Atti del XII colloquio internazionale di Micenologia, Roma, 20-25 febbraio 2006, ed. A. Sacconi, M. del Freo, L. Godart and M. Negri (Rome 2008) 549-561.
- "Siteless Survey and Intensive Data Collection in an Artifact-rich Environment: Case Studies from the Eastern Corinthia, Greece," Journal of Mediterranean Archaeology 19.1 (2006) 7-43, co-authored with W. Caraher and D. Pettegrew.
- "The Eastern Korinthia Archaeological Survey: Integrated Methods for a Dynamic Landscape," Hesperia 75.4 (2006) 453-523, co-authored with T.F. Tartaron et al.
- "Gemination at the Horizons: East and West in the Mythical Geography of Archaic Greek Epic," Transactions of the American Philological Association 134.2 (2004) 215-233.
- “Linear A and Multidimensional Scaling.” In K.P. Foster and R. Laffineur eds., Metron: Measuring the Aegean Bronze Age, Aegaeum 24 (Liège and Austin 2003) 335-342, co-authored with Kevin Pluta.
- F. Rougemont, Contrôle économique et administration à l'époque des palais mycéniens (fin du IIe millénaire av. J.-C.) (Bibliothèque des Écoles françaises d'Athènes et de Rome 332). Athens: École française d’Athènes, 2009. In Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2010.09.14
- Review of Hedvig Landenius Enegren, The People of Knossos: Prosopographical Studies in the Knossos Linear B Archives (Boreas. Uppsala Studies in Ancient Mediterranean and Near Easter Civilizations 30). Uppsala: Acta Universitatis Upsaliensis, 2008. In Journal of Hellenic Studies 130 (2010) 249-250.
- R. Drew Griffith, Mummy Wheat: Egyptian Influence on the Homeric View of the Afterlife and the Eleusinian Mysteries (Lanham, Maryland 2008). In Canadian Journal of African Studies 43.3 (2009) 593-596.
- Y. Duhoux and A. Morpurgo Davies, eds. A Companion to Linear B. Mycenaean Greek Texts and their World. Volume 1 (Louvain-la-Neuve 2008). In Classical Review 39.2 (2009) 327-329.
- P. Betancourt, The Chrysokamino Metallurgy Workshop and its Territory (Princeton 2006). In Mouseion 8.2 (2008) 290-293.
- Michael L. Galaty and William A. Parkinson, eds. Rethinking Mycenaean Palaces II. Revised and Expanded Second Edition (Los Angeles 2007). In Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2008.07.57
- John Heath, The Talking Greeks (Cambridge 2005). In Journal of Linguistic Anthropology 17.1 (2007) 142-144.
- Sofia Voutsaki and John Killen, eds., Economy and Politics in the Mycenaean Palace States. Cambridge Philological Society, Supplementary Volume no. 27 (Cambridge 2001). In Minos 35-36 (2000-2001 ) 499-502.
- "Think Globally, Act Locally? Interpreting Ritual Performance in Bronze Age and Classical Greece," Archaeology of Performance, Toronto, 18 March 2011
- "Building a Better Model of Mycenaean Society,"” Archaeological Institute of America, San Antonio, 7 January 2011
- "Labor in Mycenaean Pylos,"” 13th International Colloquium on Aegean Texts, Paris, 23 September 2010
- "Apocalypse or Liberation? Narratives of Collapse in the Greek Late Bronze Age," Ontario Aegean Archaeology Day at the Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, 6 March 2010
- "When did the Greeks first come to Cyprus?" Cypriot Archaeology Day at the Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, 6 December 2009
- "Under the Sceptre of Agamemnon? Economy, Archaeology and Texts in Mycenaean Greece," The University of Texas at Austin, Department of Classics, 12 November 2009
- "Structuration and the state in Late Bronze Age Greece," SAA, Atlanta, 26 April 2009
- with W. Parkinson, "Redistributive Economies in Theoretical and Cross-cultural Perspective," AIA, Philadelphia, 10 January 2009
- "Where's the Beef? Agency, Archaeology and Linear B," Stanford Archaeology Center Workshop, 4 December 2008
- "Murder, Pollution and Expiation in the Kylonion Conspiracy and the Dipolieia Festival," Work in Progress Seminar in Ancient Greek and Roman History, 6 November 2008"Paupers and Peasants and Princes and Kings: Reconstructing Society in Late Bronze Age Greece," Toronto Society of the AIA, Toronto, 22 October 2008
- "Financing the State in the Aegean Bronze Age," Political Economies of the Aegean Bronze Age, Langford Conference, Tallahassee, 2007 Abstract
- "The Individual as an Analytical Category for the Integration of Archaeological and Textual Data," AIA, San Diego, 2007
- "Individuals and the Mycenaean State at Pylos," 12th International Mycenological Colloquium, Rome, 2006 Abstract
- "Agency and the Mycenaean State," AIA, Montréal, 2006 Abstract
- "Individuals and Labor in Late Bronze Age Pylos," International Scholars Conference on Ancient Near Eastern Economies, Hirschbach, Germany, 2005
- with William Caraher and David Pettegrew, "Siteless survey and intensive data collection in an artifact-rich environment: case studies from the Eastern Korinthia, Greece," SAA, Salt Lake City, 2005
- "Prosopography and the State in Mycenaean Greece," APA, Boston, 2005 Abstract
- "Craft Specialists and the Mycenaean State: The Case of the Pylian Bronze-Smiths," AIA, Boston, 2005. Abstract
- "Murder, Pollution, and Expiation in the Kylonian Conspiracy and the Dipolieia," APA, New Orleans, 2003 Abstract
- with Kevin Pluta, "Identifying Linear A words using statistical analysis," Metron: Measuring the Aegean Bronze Age, New Haven, 2002
- with Joann Gulizio, "The Minoan Goddess(es): Textual Evidence for Minoan Religion," CAMWS, Austin, 2002
- with D.J. Pullen, T.F. Tartaron, R.M. Rothaus and A. Dill, "The Prehistory of the Eastern Korinthia," AIA, Philadelphia, 2002. Abstract: AJA 106.2 (2002) 278-279.
- "Semi-rational Geography and Eschatological Gemination in Homer," APA, Philadelphia, 2002 Abstract
- Pyla Koutsopetria Archaeological Project, 2006-2010
- Nemea Valley Archaeological Project, 2003, 2006-2007
- Corinth Excavations, 2004-2005
- Eastern Korinthia Archaeological Survey, 1999-2002
- Iklaina Archaeological Project, 2000-2001
- Greek Archaeological Service, 1997
- Petras Excavations, 1996
- Leptimus Archaeological Project, 1995
- Institute for Aegean Prehistory (INSTAP), with W. Caraher, 2008-2010
- Curtiss and Mary G. Brennan Foundation, with W. Caraher, 2008
- Mediterranean Archaeological Trust, with R.S. Moore, 2008
- Outstanding Dissertation Award, The University of Texas at Austin and University Co-op, 2007
- William S. Livingston Fellowship, The University of Texas at Austin, 2005-2006
- Continuing Tuition Fellowship, The University of Texas at Austin, 2004-2005
- Heinrich Schliemann Fellowship, American School of Classical Studies at Athens, 2003-2004
- David Bruton, Jr. Graduate Fellowship, The University of Texas at Austin, 2003-2004
- Reeves Award, The University of Texas at Austin, 2001
- University Preemptive Recruitment Fellowship, The University of Texas at Austin, 1998-1999
- Classical Archaeology Prize, University of Michigan, 1997
- Philips II Greek Prize, University of Michigan, 1996
Return to people of PASP