Visit the International Balzan Prize Foundation Web site.
VPR Internal Deadline
Funding Agency Deadline
Funding or Award Criteria
The Balzan Prizes are chosen by the General Prize Committee in two general subject areas: Literature, Moral Sciences and the Arts; and the Physical, Mathematical and Natural Sciences and Medicine. The four Balzan Prizes, two per category, are awarded to scholars, artists and scientists who have distinguished themselves in their fields on an international level. Each of the four Balzan Prizes is worth 750,000 Swiss francs. Half the Prize sum will be awarded to the Prizewinner in recognition of his/her work, while the other half will later be earmarked by the Prizewinner for research Projects which would involve young researchers or research groups.
The subject areas in which the awards are granted are rotated, and this special characteristic of the Balzan Prize ensures the promotion and recognition of new or emerging fields of study or research that may have been overlooked by other international awards.
The four Balzan Prizes, two per category, are awarded to scholars, artists and scientists who have distinguished themselves in their fields on an international level.
The 2014 Balzan Prizes will be awarded in the following fields:
- Classical Archaeology
- Epistemology and Philosophy of Mind
- Basic and/or applied Plant Ecology
- Mathematics (pure or applied)
# of Nominees Allowed
Multiple nominees are allowed within each of the four categories.
VPR Required Documents
- Thorough yet concise letter of support, including a statement of reasons for the nomination, and mention of particularly important publications;
- Nominee’s Curriculum Vitae, including biography, date and place of birth, nationality, residence and address, present position/function and main academic activities;
- A recent photograph with indication of copyright if applicable; and
Additional required documents for:
- Humanities Nominees: a bibliography (including the above-mentioned publications, citing publisher and publication year, and adding translations of original titles should there be works translated into other languages); or
- Sciences Nominees: a detailed list of 10-20 of nominee’s most important publications (with full bibliographical citation).
For more information, please contact Liza Scarborough at 471-2877, or email@example.com.
Nominee(s) Selected to Advance