Visit the Blavatnik Awards website.
VPR Internal Deadline
Funding Agency Deadline
Funding or Award Criteria
The national faculty competition of the Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists recognizes the country’s most promising young faculty-rank scientists and engineers in the disciplinary categories of Life Sciences, Physical Sciences & Engineering, and Chemistry.
One Blavatnik Laureate from each disciplinary category will receive $250,000 in unrestricted funds and be published in the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences on the topic for which he/she is being honored.
The candidate and his/her work will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Quality: The extent to which the work is reliable, valid, credible, and scientifically rigorous.
- Impact: The extent to which the work addresses an important problem and is influential in the candidate’s field.
- Novelty: The extent to which the work challenges existing paradigms, employs new methodologies or concepts, and/or pursues an original question.
- Promise: Future prospects in the candidate’s field and potential for further significant contributions to science.
- Have been born in or after 1973.
- Have earned a doctoral degree (PhD, DPhil, MD, DDS, DVM, etc.).
- Currently hold a faculty position at an eligible academic institution in the United States.
- Have made significant research contributions to the life sciences, physical sciences and engineering, and/or chemistry during his/her independent career as a principal investigator.
Life Sciences, Physical Sciences & Engineering, and Chemistry
# of Nominees Allowed
Up to three candidates, one in each disciplinary category (Life Sciences, Physical Sciences & Engineering, and Chemistry)
VPR Required Documents
- Basic biographical and contact information for candidate.
- 2,000-character Rationale for Nomination statement explaining why the candidate is being nominated.
- Candidate's four-page curriculum vitae.
- Candidate's 1,000-word research statement.
- Up to four full-text publications and/or patents representing the candidate's best work.
- Basic contact information for two recommenders who can speak to the candidate's qualifications.
For more information, please contact Liza Scarborough at 512-471-2877, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominee(s) Selected to Advance