Visit the National Medal of Science website.
VPR Internal Deadline
Funding Agency Deadline
Funding or Award Criteria
For outstanding cumulative contributions to knowledge in the physical, biological, mathematical, engineering, or behavioral or social sciences, in service to the Nation.
Physical, biological, mathematical, engineering, or behavioral or social sciences.
# of Nominees Allowed
VPR Required Documents
- a letter of nomination for each candidate that addresses the *award selection considerations (see list below),
- a CV of your nominee (including name, and contact information). Include a list of no more than ten publications and patents, each accompanied by a brief explanation of their significance. Please do not submit full publications or patents.
- The names and contact information of five individuals willing to write seconding letters.
*Award Selection Considerations:
- The impact of an individual's body of work on the current state of his or her field of science or engineering;
- Whether the individual's achievements are of an unusually significant nature in relation to the potential effects on the development of thought in his or her field of science or engineering;
- Whether the nominee has demonstrated unusually distinguished service in the general advancement of science and/or engineering for the Nation, especially when accompanied by substantial contributions to the content of science;
- The recognition of the nominee by peers within his or her community, and whether s/he is recognized for substantial impact in fields in addition to his/her discipline;
- If the nominee has made contributions to innovation and industry;
- Whether the nominee has demonstrated sustained influence on education through publications, teaching activities, outreach, mentoring, etc. and;
- Whether the nominee's contributions have created significant positive impact for the Nation.
For more information, please contact Liza Scarborough at 471-2877, or email@example.com.
Nominee(s) Selected to Advance
Prof. George Sudarshan, Department of Physics