Management of Financial Conflicts of Interest
The Conflict of Interest (COI) Official and Objectivity in Research (OIR) Chair in cooperation with other relevant University committees, such as the Institutional Review Board, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, and Institutional Biosafety Committee, will determine whether a covered individual has a financial conflict of interest (FCOI).
If a management plan is required to manage, reduce, or eliminate any conflicts of interest in regards to research, the COI Official, OIR Chair, relevant University committees, department Dean, and department Chair, in cooperation with the covered individual, will development a management plan governing that conflict of interest.
Examples of conditions or restrictions that might be imposed to manage FCOI include, but are not limited to:
- Public disclosure of the FCOI (e.g. when presenting or publishing the research);
- Disclosure of FCOI directly to participants in human subjects research;
- Appointment of an independent monitor capable of taking measure to protect the design, conduct, and reporting of the research against bias resulting from FCOI;
- Modification of the research plan;
- Change of personnel or personnel responsibilities, or disqualification of personnel from participation in all or in portions of the research;
- Reduction or elimination of FCOI (e.g., sale of an equity interest); or
- Severance of relationships that create financial conflicts
Each person conducting research under a management plan must comply fully and promptly with the plan.