Skip to Main Content.
Human Subjects site of Office of Research Support link to UT home link to Office of Research Support

The Office of Research Support (ORS) does not administer or oversee HOP policy 5-2011 or training related to the policy. ORS administers HOP policy 7-1210, “Promoting Objectivity in Research by Managing, Reducing or Eliminating Financial Conflicts of Interest” so if you conduct research and have:

  1. Not submitted a Financial Interest Disclosure (FID), you will need to complete mandatory training and file a FID. Instructions for completing these requirements are located at
  2. Previously submitted a FID, you are not required to complete additional training nor re-disclose the same information to comply with the UTS 180/HOP 5-2011 policy requirements.   However, you may have other responsibilities under that policy.

HOP policy 5-2011 QUESTIONS? Contact the Provost’s Office or call Mike Kerker, Associate Vice Provost at (512) 471-2694.

International Research

Research conducted by University investigators in foreign countries remains under University purview and guidelines.

While we cannot impose our standards for written documentation on other cultures, we do not relax our standards for ethical conduct of research or for a meaningful consent process.  Special attention should be given to local customs and to local cultural and religious norms in drafting written consent documents or proposing alternative consent formats.  In some instances it may be appropriate for the to waive some or all requirements for written consent.  Research proposals for which this may be reasonable should include explanations of cultural norms or conditions requiring such a waiver (i.e. societies where no written language is used, societies where signatures represent the surrender of spirit or soul to the researcher.)  Research projects must have been approved by the local equivalent of an before they are presented to the University .  Where there is no equivalent board or group, investigators must rely on local experts or community leaders to provide approval. The requires documentation of this "local approval" before it gives approval.

International Research Consultants

Link to NIH international research resources