IACUC Update Volume 7, Issue 2, October 2013
Helpful Tips for Submitting Documents to HealthPoint OHP
The HealthPoint Occupational Health Program (OHP) would like to provide investigators with some tips for submitting documents to the HealthPoint OHP office:
- Ensure the proper form is used (forms were updated recently).
- Ensure your name, EID, and contact information is legible and spelled correctly.
- Electronic submission via the HealthPoint email address or confidential fax line is highly recommended.
- Ensure that the form is complete.
- Submit your documents as soon as possible. HealthPoint cannot expedite the 24-48 processing window.
- If you choose to fax your documents, please ensure your name & EID are listed on each page.
Please contact the HealthPoint OHP office if you have any questions!
Phone: (512) 471-4OHP (4647)
Fax: (512) 471-2666
Reminder: Protocol Closure Report Required for Every Protocol
A Protocol Closure Report (PCR) is required to close or retire a protocol, including third-year resubmission protocols.
When a third-year resubmission is approved, a PCR needs to be completed to close the previous protocol. For example, eProtocol AUP-1981-00330 is the third-year resubmission for AUP-1979-00304. A PCR is required for AUP-1979-00304.
The PCR is available on the “Documents, Materials, and Forms” section of the IACUC website (and will soon be available as an electronic option in eProtocol!)
Stop Hiding…And Change the World!
Working with animals can be a controversial topic. Sharing your accomplishments helps educate your friends and neighbors about the important work you do. This video should give you some food for thought: www.amprogress.com/stophiding/
eProtocol Tip of the Month
What is the best way to describe a terminal tissue harvest in eProtocol?
If tissues need to be collected while the animal is still alive (i.e., under anesthesia), then the protocol needs to describe the anesthesia methods. If tissues will be collected after euthanasia, then the protocol needs to describe the harvest procedures. The “Procedure Type” listing in eProtocol contains two distinct entries:
- Tissue Harvest (non-survival under anesthesia) should be selected for all procedures in which animals are anesthetized for tissue harvest.
- Tissue Harvest (post-mortem after euthanasia) should be selected for all procedures in which animals are first euthanized for tissue harvest. Because post-mortem harvest procedures occur after euthanasia, these procedures do not generally need to be entered into a protocol. eProtocol, however, requires at least one procedure is entered for each protocol, so this procedure is made available for groups whose only manipulation of animals is tissue harvest after humane euthanasia.
Upcoming Meeting Dates
The next IACUC Full Committee Review (FCR) is December 16, 2013.
The deadline to submit a new protocol or third-year resubmission is November 15, 2013, 2013.
To subscribe to the IACUC Update, please visit our newsletter subscription page.
To read past issues of the IACUC Update, visit the IACUC Update Archive