Skip to Main Content.
Human Subjects site of Office of Research Support link to UT home link to Office of Research Support

The Office of Research Support (ORS) does not administer or oversee HOP policy 5-2011 or training related to the policy. ORS administers HOP policy 7-1210, “Promoting Objectivity in Research by Managing, Reducing or Eliminating Financial Conflicts of Interest” so if you conduct research and have:

  1. Not submitted a Financial Interest Disclosure (FID), you will need to complete mandatory training and file a FID. Instructions for completing these requirements are located at
  2. Previously submitted a FID, you are not required to complete additional training nor re-disclose the same information to comply with the UTS 180/HOP 5-2011 policy requirements.   However, you may have other responsibilities under that policy.

HOP policy 5-2011 QUESTIONS? Contact the Provost’s Office or call Mike Kerker, Associate Vice Provost at (512) 471-2694.

Incident Reporting

What you need to do if an incident involving recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid molecules, biohazardous agents, materials, or toxins occurs such as a spill, work-related injury, sickness, or exposure occurs.

If a spill occurs then the following must take place:


  • Isolate the area and if possible contain the spill.
  • Contact the PI and Biosafety Officer immediately at (512) 471-3511 (24hr. hotline)

In the event of a needle stick, bite, scratch or direct contact (splash to skin or face)

  • Flush wound or point of contact
  • Contact the PI and Biosafety Officer immediately at (512) 471-3511 (24hr. hotline).
  • Contact the ARC Director at (512) 471-7534 if incident involved animals
  • For minor work-related injuries and exposures to biohazardous materials during regular business hours call the HealthPoint Occupational Health Program at (512) 471-4OHP (4647).
  • After hours instructions are available on the HealthPoint Occupational Health Program website.