As part of the improvements to the laboratory safety program, all BSL-1 and BSL-2 laboratories are required to be inspected, and lab staff needs to develop a lab safety manual and participate in lab safety training. To better facilitate the approval of research protocols, follow the steps listed below:
The Professor (PI) must submit online forms.
BSL1 and BSL2 Labs
- Prepare your lab for BSL-1 or BSL-2 inspection by referencing Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL) guidelines (Section IV).
- Contact EHS (see below) to schedule an inspection of your lab. Refer to either the BSL-1 (Excel document) or BSL-2 (Excel document) inspection checklists.
- Prepare your lab-specific written protocols by using the BSL-1 or BSL-2 template provided by EHS.
- Lab staff is required to take OH 207 Biosafety training. See OH 207 Biosafety for a class description and training schedule.
Additional Requirements for BSL2 Labs
Submit an online Biosafety form (EID required). Forms should only be submitted by PIs. Make sure you click “Submit Study for Review” after completing the form. If animals or human subjects are involved with the project you will need to include those protocol numbers.
Additional Requirements for Labs performing rDNA research not exempt under the NIH Guidelines.
- Submit a rDNA form (EID required) online. You must include your biosafety protocol number on the rDNA form and complete all questions. You can find your biosafety protocol number at the top of the biosafety form you submitted online.
- Lab staff is also required to take RC 301 (classroom) or CW 512 (online) training. See the Office of Research Support for details.
General biosafety questions
Excel require Microsoft Excel, Excel Viewer, or compatible software.