EHS offers a range of services that help keep laboratories safe on campus.
EHS Assistant is live! PIs and lab personnel can now manage registration, lab inspections, and chemical inventory online.
Information on bloodborne pathogens and helpful links related to lab biosafety.
Chemical Fume Hood
- Testing — Chemical fume hoods are tested by building on a regular schedule to meet proper performance criteria. Hoods are also tested on an "as requested" basis.
- VAV Chemical Fumehoods
Refrigerators and Freezers
- Lab Safe Units
- Ultra-low Freezers
- Contact ehs-labstaff for a Guidelines on Keeping Your Ulta-Low Freezer Green and Making It Last Longer magnet:
EHS performs lab clean-outs when a department has a large number of containers to dispose but does not have the personnel or knowledge to fill out the Request for Disposal forms.
Laboratory Design Plan Review
Design plans for renovation of existing lab space or for construction of new lab buildings are reviewed for adherence to applicable standards and accepted practice.
- Checklist for new PIs (PDF)
- Contact List for Labs
- Hazardous Chemical SOP (Word document)
- Hazardous Waste Disposal
- Lab Safety Manual
- Laboratory Training: A step-by-step guide
- Pyrophorics Guidelines
- Safe Handling of Piranha SOP (PDF)
- Universal Precautions (for preventing bloodborne disease)
- Vacuum Pump Safety
Lab Safety Bulletins
- Lab Safety Big 12 — Avoid the 12 most common laboratory safety problems
- Department Specific HazCom Training
- Disposal of Gas Cylinders
- Labeling Hazardous Chemical Containers
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Spill Control Kits
- Training Requirements
- Laundry Services for Lab Coats
Links for Lab Safety
- AIHA — Laboratory Health and Safety Committee
- Air Products - MSDS
- CAMEO Chemicals Database of Hazardous Materials from NOAA
- Lab Safety Institute
- Lab Safety — Saf-T-News
- NOAA Chemical Reactivity Worksheet
- Saf-T-Pack Inc.
- Toxic Use Reduction Institute
- Zephyr Environmental
- UT Biosafety
- UT Lab Safety Manual