Admission to the MSSW program is competitive and early application is encouraged. Application to the MSSW program requires admission to both The University of Texas at Austin Graduate School and the School of Social Work.
When application materials have been received, an applicant file is created and processing begins. After a Graduate Social Work Admission Committee review, the School of Social Work Graduate Advisor forwards a recommendation for admission to the Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies at the University. While the Graduate School generally follows the recommendation made by the School of Social Work, official acceptance into any graduate program requires the approval of the Dean of the Graduate School. Applicants should expect to receive notification from both the Graduate School and the School of Social Work. Learn more about the review process here.
How to Apply
To apply for the MSSW program you must:
- Complete the Online Application, upload required materials, and request required materials to be sent to the Graduate and International Admission Center (GIAC). See a checklist with description of required materials here (PDF). See detailed instructions below.
How to Complete the Online Application
- To complete the application you must have an electronic ID (EID) provided by the university. Obtain your EID here.
- Once you obtain the electronic EID, you can access the Online Application page here. Please read carefully and complete all sections of the Online Application.
- You will need to upload the following materials:
- Personal narrative statements. See instructions and prompt for each statement here (PDF).
- Documentation of completed Prerequisite Course Work (Statistics, Liberal Arts, and Behavioral Sciences)
- Letters of Reference (3 required; 5 preferred). These letters are submitted electronically by the writer of the reference.
- Current resume
- International students only: complete and upload Certification of Financial Responsibility Form
- Non-Refundable Application Fee: $65 if U.S. Citizen and Permanent Residents; $90 if International Applicants
- Official copy of transcripts in pdf format
- You will need to request the following documentation to be sent electronically to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC):
- An official copy of your GRE score from ETS. When taking the GRE General Test, have your score report sent to The University of Texas at Austin. If you have already taken the GRE, you can request a score report to be sent to GIAC by calling ETS at 1-888-GRE-SCORE. Please note: ETS will not report GRE scores completed over five years ago. Only test scores mailed directly from the testing agency are considered official.
- Only if international applicant whose first language is not English: an official copy of your TOEFL-IBT or IELTS Score Report. Please note: TOEFL scores over two years old will not be accepted. Only test scores mailed directly from the testing agency are considered official.
Dates and Deadlines
The School does not review applicant files until all materials have been received. Read more about the review process here.
Fall or Summer Admission:
- For Fall or Summer admission, the priority deadline for submitting application materials to the School of Social Work is January 15.
- The Admission Committee begins the review of applications at that time and continues until the incoming class is full. For this reason, early application is encouraged. The School is not obligated to review applicant files that are not complete by the priority deadline.
- Programs that offer Fall admission are 2-year, 3-year, and 3½-year options.
- Summer admission is for the 1-year Post BSW option only.
- For Spring admission, the priority deadline for submitting application materials to the School of Social Work is October 1.
- Programs that offer Spring admission are 1½-year Post BSW option and 2½-year option.
- Questions regarding Graduate School admission should be directed to The University of Texas at Austin Graduate School (512) 475-7390.
- Questions about application status should be directed to the School of Social Work Admissions Office, (512) 471-7482
Contact Information and Helpful LinksPROSPECTIVE STUDENT INFORMATION (BEFORE YOU APPLY): Office of Student and Community Affairs Ramon Gomez, MSSW (512) 471-9819 Local (877) 875-7352 Toll-free email@example.com
PROSPECTIVE STUDENT INFORMATION (AFTER YOU APPLY): School of Social Work Office of Graduate Admission Andrea Montgomery, LMSW (512) 471-7482 Local (877) 875-7352 Toll-free firstname.lastname@example.org