Academic Community CentersStudents & Parents
Why bring the academics into the living environment?
Alexander Astin (1993) says what matters most in college is:
- Student to Student interaction
- Student to Faculty interaction
- Hours devoted to studying
- Tutoring other students
- Socializing with other students
In Guiding Principles for Creating Seamless Learning Environments for Undergraduates, George Kuh (1996) says Universities should have:
- Clear, coherent and consistently expressed educational purposes
- Complimentary institutional policies and practices congruent with students' characteristics and needs
- Ample opportunities for Student Involvement in educationally purposeful out-of-class activities
- An ethos of learning that pervades all aspects of the institution.
So how do you get involved in this?
- Stop by an advisors' office in Jester or Kinsolving
- Ask your RA
- Come to the Jester City Limits or Kinsolving dining centers at night to be a part of the action
- Open to all students!