DHFS is an organization that takes sustainability seriously. We are continually working to decrease our environmental impact and to provide our residents with the opportunity to live more sustainably.
Immediately report maintenance problems that involve energy or water usage (for example, a heater or air conditioner that will not shut off, leaky faucet, etc.) by submitting a Maintenance Request Form.
- Plug appliances (computer, printer, game system, etc) into a power strip and turn it off when you aren?t using them or are leaving for the day.
- Configure your computer to go into low power or sleep mode when not in use.
- Do not use screen savers since this defeats the sleep mode.
- Keep window blinds and curtains closed to reduce air conditioning needs.
- If you have a thermostat in your room, maintain room temperatures at around 75 degrees in the summer and 70 degrees in winter.
- Turn off the lights when you leave your room.
- Wash clothes when you have a full load.
- Shorten your shower by a minute or two and save up to 150 gallons per month.
- Turn off the sink faucet tightly to prevent leaks.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Put in a maintenance request if you have any leaks or the toilet is running.
- Wash your clothes on cold to decrease the energy used for water heating.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Use the green and blue recycle bins in your room to recycle paper products, plastics and aluminum.
- Make sure to sort your compost and recycling while in DHFS cafes.
- Join the Eco2Go program at JCL, Littlefield Patio Cafe and Cypress Bend Cafe to have your food served in a reusable container.
- Many residence halls have e-waste recycling (batteries, electronics, printer cartridges, etc) at their main desks. Ask your RA for collection points.
- All residence hall desks have CFL light bulb recycling.
- Spend $15 at Cypress Bend, Kins Market or Jester City Market after 5pm on a Tuesday and receive a free reusable shopping tote. Use this tote again for a discount on your purchase.
- Use your DHFS reusable bottle to receive discounted refills in the cafes.
- When dining in our buffet facilities, please help us reduce food waste by taking only what you can eat.