Vision, Mission and Values
Guided by our values and commitment to support the mission of The University of Texas at Austin, in partnership with the Division of Student Affairs, our vision is to provide first-class housing and food service. We embrace an inclusive, nurturing community where students and staff build dreams and achieve goals. Our purpose is to produce a comprehensive out of classroom learning experience that will foster life-long connections.
Our mission is to offer an extraordinary living and learning experience while building academic partnerships that will enrich and enable students to thrive.
We are committed to the following as we pursue this mission:
- Clean and attractive facilities for on-campus residents, students with families, and conference participants that are affordable, secure, and well maintained
- Quality food service that addresses diverse cultural and nutritional needs
- Responsible and accountable fiscal and administrative policies and services that are cost effective
- Programming and shared experiences that facilitate the development of the whole student
- Professional enrichment opportunities for staff
- Activities and workshops that promote understanding and appreciation of different lifestyles, genders, ethnic groups, religions, cultures, and sexual orientation for students and staff
- Partnerships with the colleges that provide out of classroom learning experiences for undergraduates in selected disciplines
- Technology services and products that support student learning and staff work environments
- Advancement of the student affairs profession in general, and housing in particular, through the support of state, regional and national leadership
Values in which We Believe
- Understanding our heritage to build inclusive communities for the future
- Quality customer service for internal and external customers
- A positive, caring environment for students, associates, staff and families
- The highest developmental, service and fiscal standards possible
- Pride in the quality of our work
- Respect for ideas, values and contributions of others in a diverse workforce
Our vision, mission and values support the following Initiatives that are embraced by the Division of Student Affairs:
FOCUS ON STUDENT'S FIRST-YEAR EXPERIENCE.
Numerous studies indicate that emphasis upon a student's first-year experience results in higher retention, improved academic success, and increased graduation rates. The University has, in recent years, initiated a number of programs aimed at improving the freshman year experience. That initiative should be expanded to include the first-year experience of all students, including transfer students and those entering professional and graduate schools.
INCREASE EFFORTS TO BUILD A SECURE AND INCLUSIVE CAMPUS COMMUNITY.
While the responsibility for creating campus community will continue to be shared throughout the University, Student Affairs has a primary role to play in this area. A secure and inclusive community will assist in socially integrating new members, and will contribute to greater involvement, understanding and acceptance.
EXPAND OPPORTUNITIES FOR STUDENT'S LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT.
Student Affairs serves a major role in creating opportunities for students to experience self-discovery, self-development, and to learn the elements of leadership. The challenge now exists to expand the definition of leadership beyond positional to transformational, where all students uncover and develop their own potential.
FOCUS ON AN ENHANCED CAMPUS-WIDE CULTURE OF WELLNESS.
The attitudes and behaviors students acquire at the University have the potential to become lifelong habits. By promoting a culture of wellness, Student Affairs has the opportunity to extend its influence far beyond a student?s tenure at the University.
ASSESS AND IMPROVE SERVICES TO OUR STUDENTS.
The Division needs data to better understand whom we are serving, how effectively we are serving them, and how we can improve. To accomplish this we need to initiate and develop a comprehensive division-wide assessment program. With this information, Student Affairs can improve services and clearly document our collective story in a more detailed manner.
STRENGTHEN THE IDENTITY OF STUDENT AFFAIRS.
Recognizing that Student Affairs is comprised of a variety of individuals and units, the Division remains unified in its commitment to student and staff learning and development. To be effective in our mission, the Division must strengthen the identity of Student Affairs while creating new opportunities for collaboration and promoting professional growth.
ASSURE ADEQUATE FUNDING FOR EXISTING AND FUTURE PROGRAMS AND FACILITIES.
The advent of flat-rate tuition and recent escalation of utility costs have illustrated the important need to assure adequate funding of our programs and facilities - both existing and anticipated. Rigorous planning, stewardship and fiscal responsibility will continue to be crucial.