Vegetarian and Vegan Dining
For assistance in locating vegetarian and vegan food items, please look for our vegetarian and vegan food identification icons on the DHFS online menu, via nutrition information stations, and on grab and go prepackaged food items. Students can also contact our Registered Dietitian at 512.232.5636 and firstname.lastname@example.org or ask the manager at your favorite DHFS location for assistance.
The Division of Housing and Food Services strives to make vegetarian and vegan options more abundant within the dining halls. Some options that are always available include:
- BAKED POTATO BAR: Baked & Sweet Potatoes, Cheese & Broccoli Sauce, Grated Cheese, Bacon Bits (imitation), Sour Cream, Refried Beans, Vegetables.
- BEVERAGES: 2% and Skim Milk, along with Soy Milk are available at all of our dining locations.
- DESSERTS: Most desserts are lacto-ovo vegetarian. Please reference our food identification icons for specifics.
- FRESH FRUIT: Available at every meal at the salad bar. Selection is dependent on availability and can include apples, oranges, pears, bananas, grapes, strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, etc.
- GRILL: Vegetarian burgers are available daily. Certain dining locations, like Cypress Bend and Jester City Limits, have vegan burgers available. Please check for availability.
- PIZZA: Cheese and vegetable pizzas available daily. Specialty pizzas are on rotation.
- SALAD BAR: Daily : Tofu, beans, raisins, fresh vegetables, peanut butter, and sunflower seeds . Specialty salads are on rotation and include many vegetarian and vegan options. Please reference our food identification icons for specifics.
- SOUP: A vegetarian or vegan soup is offered daily at both lunch and dinner at J2, Kinsolving, and Jester City Limits.
Please reference our Vegetarian Dining Guide (PDF) for more specifics.
If you're interested in finding out more information regarding vegetarian and vegan options on campus, please join the DHFS Vegetarian Focus Group. The group is usually held the first Wednesday of every month at 5:00pm and led by the DHFS Dietitian. Attendees receive free entry for dinner that evening, get to sample new food items, learn about available vegetarian and vegan options on campus, and are encouraged to bring any questions, concerns and recommendations!